Draw a picture of the Moon in its current phase. Include the date and time of your observation.
Include direction and estimate how high above the horizon (as an angle the Moon is).
1) What phase is the Moon in at the time of your observation?
2) In the ne
Jupiter Largest Planet in Solar System
What you will see
bands of color (brown/white)
moons (exact configuration for 4/5/2013 later slide)
Brown stripes are called belts
regions of cool gas sinking
White stripes are called zones
regions of warm ga
We will NOT be able to see the Great Red Spot. This is because Jupiter rotates once in only 10
hours so its day is only 10 hours long. This means we are often not facing the Great Red Spot.
Jupiter is the largest planet in our Solar System
Here is an extra credit exercise relating to your at-home lab: The Hertzsprung Russell Diagram:
This is due when you hand in your H-R diagram at-home lab
1. When stars are on the Main Sequence, what is happening internally? Be specific. (Hint: energy
The 14 inch telescope: Apanatic Schmidt Catadioptric telescope
A telescope is an instrument that collects and focuses light. The nature of the optical design
determines how the light is focused.
Some telescopes, known as refractors, use lenses.
- Scientific Theory idea or set of ideas that propose to explain observed phenomenon
Can be tested independently
- Observation Theory Test Modify theory
- A new observations conflict with t
1. The Suns apparent path across our sky against the background stars is known as
2. If one observatory site is described as having better seeing than another observatory
site, what is it that is better at the first site?