Questions for section on American Culture: Call to Home
1. What is race? How do we define it in academia and how does the lay
public define it? Think in terms of:
essential vs. constructed ideas of identity
gender, class and ethnicity how is race like or
Study questions for Test 1
1. Compare and contrast subsistence (survival) strategies of the Wakhi and the Kirghiz.
The Role of the Environment
The Role of Culture
- Wakhi subsistence depends upon
agriculture, pastoralism, and
manual labor, activitie
Anthropology Notes- Lineage, Politics, and Environments
April 4, 2013
What role does the Khan play? Power and exercising it.
o Views of the Khan and Kahns views of others
Political frontier (being cut off from other cultures) effect?
o Effected ability
- Normal vision of what a frontier is and how does the situation of the Kirghiz force us to
change our vision of what a frontier is and what are the consequences of the Kirghiz for
having that frontier constructed in the way it is?
o Our traditi
1. The concept of the frontier how has the situation in the Wakhan Corridor changed the
way we need to view the frontier? P. 193
a. Concept of the frontier p.169
a.i. Geographic (spatial), temporal, social, and cultural referents
a.ii. Distance and remote
April 23, 2013
Cultural Experience with the Robins Family
Through my assistance with the construction process and my attendance at the
dedication ceremony of a Habitat for Humanity house, I was able to gain insight into the
life of the Robins
Body Paragraph Living
- Balinese p.42
o In Balinese society, the location of specific buildings in the village is determined
by their geographical location. The Balinese belief in kaja, the mountains where
the gods reside, and kelod, the sea where the dem
For Feb 21
7. Discuss how art in Bali relates to the production of aesthetics and/or to the
worship of gods and goddesses. How does art affect the daily lives of the
people of Bali (what work does it do)?
- World view heavily influences artistic practices
For Feb 23
10. What is the role of temples in rice production?
The Balinese practice a very specific type of agriculture in which they grow
rice through the use of a terracing irrigation system. This system of
agriculture is one of the most successful sty
Study Guide For Anthropology 111 Test 2
Questions from the section on Bali
For Feb 14
1. What features of anthropological (ethnographic) fieldwork are the most
important ones? What types of data does ethnographic research emphasize?
- Important features o
a. Comparative study of human societies and cultures and tier developments
a. Living among a group of people for the purpose of learning about their culture
a. Judging other cultures by the standards of your o