L18 Dynamics between Church and State in Western Europe and the Byzantine
How differently did Christianity develop in the Latin West and Byzantine Empire? In
particular, how did it relate to the secular authority of these two realms?
The Rise of Islam
What was the Bedouin Society like in Pre-Islamic Arabia? Why did the video say
that Islam was a powerful unifying force in that society?
Clan based each had their own idols Islam stripped them of these
beliefs and united them under a
History of Judaism
1. Early (Biblical) Judaism (TaNakh)
a. Torah (compiled ca. 600 BCE)
b. Neviim (Book of Prophets)
c. Ketuvim (historical, poetic, and philosophic writings)
2. Era of Diversity (586 BCE 70 CE): Second Temple Judaism (from the
March 19, 2014
Buddhism was the religion to address human suffering
- Says suffering is not because of social injustice, instead it is in your karma
- Shinto: way of the Gods
Story of Japanese State Building
- The Ascendance of the Japanes
L20 The Expansion of Islam
What geopolitical, economic, cultural and religious factors contributed to the rapid spread of
Islam during the first few centuries of its existence?
o Muhammad was a trader (big part of his life)
o Trade was a major sou
- When and where did Hinduism emerge?
o Began before recorded time
o India with influence from the Indus valley civilization
- Roughly when and where did Hinduism spread (up to 1500 CE)?
o Spread to the far corners of India
o Southeast Asia
February 3, 2014
Two Creation Myths: the Book of Genesis and Popol Vuh
Throughout history there have been many myths created for the purpose of explaining
the origins of the earth and humankind. Many of these, including the Book of Genesis
Siddhartha Gautama (Buddhism)
- the one who achieved enlightenment
- Mahayana: see the human Buddha as a reincarnated version of the divine Buddha
- Theravada: straight forward, plain teaching of the Buddha
Avalokiteshvara: (Buddhism) perceiver of the sou
- When and where did Buddhism emerge?
o 5th century BCE
- Roughly when and where did Buddhism spread (up to 1500 CE)?
o Southeast Asia: Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.
o Other parts of Asia: China, Tibet, Japan, Korea, etc.
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam notes
- When and where did Judaism emerge?
o Around 1000 BCE
- Roughly when and where did Judaism spread (up to 1500 CE)?
- Respective founders
- Major sects/factions/schools
- Objects of w
March 5, 2014
History of World Civilizations | Section 2 | Notes
Shiva the Destroyer, Vishnu the Preserver, and Brahman the universal spirit
Ramayana and Mahabharata epic literature about gods
Shaivism: oldest school of devotion in India