Org. Chem. II 3216
1) Provide the structure of the major organic product in the following reactions. Show the stereochemistry if
necessary. (a,b,c are 1 pt, d is 2 pts)
2) What diene and dienophile are used in the Diels-Alder rout
Chemistry Department, Winston Salem State University, Winston Salem NC, 27110
Submitted on: March 6, 2017
Instructors name: Dr. Kiren
Objective/ Purpose: The nitration of Methyl Benzoate serves as a electrophilic aromatic
A MINI SYHTNESIS PROJECT
For three lab periods, you will work on a project aims these main objectives;
a) To understand research in organic synthesis to give answers to these questions; a) why is this type of research
ESTER SYNTHESIS: FISCHER ESTERIFICATION
Esters can be prepared by reacting a carboxylic acid with an alcohol in the presence of a catalyst such as
concentrated sulfuric acid, hydrogen chloride, p-tolu
February 20, 2017
Chapter 8: Thin-Layer Chromatography (TLC)
Principles of TLC:
Separation depends on differences in molecular interaction of compounds between two
phases, stationary and mobile. The stationary phase is adsorbent, normal
OXIDATION OF ALCOHOL
An alcohol (0.2 ml) was dissolved in 5 mL of CH 3CN and placed in a round-bottomed flask and cooled to
+5C using an ice-water bath and stirred magnetically. Finely ground KMnO 4 (0.3 g) was added in small
portions over a period of 15
Chapter 21 Nucleophilic addition to carbonyl groups
1) What is the correct name of the following molecule?
2) Which of the following is neither an aldehyde nor
Chapter 20 Introduction to Carbonyl Chemistry
1) Which of the following compounds gives 3-methyl-2-butanol upon reduction with LiAlH4?
2) Which of the following products is formed in good yield by the reduction of methyl 4
Chapter 18 Electrophilic Aromatic Substitution
1) The best sequence to use to form propylbenzene from benzene is
A) FriedelCrafts alkylation using 1-chloropropane and aluminum trichloride.
B) FriedelCrafts acylation followed by reduction.
Ch:apier 17 AromatIdty
1) Wtha Is the correct narrie o the following molecule?
2) What Is the correct name of the following molecule?
Chapter 16 Conjugation, Diels-Alder
1) How many pi () electrons are present in the allyl cation?
2) Consider the following carbocations and their resonance hybrids. Which is the MOST stable carbocation?
February 13, 2017
Lab report #1
The DielsAlder reaction is between a diene and a dienophile that results in a cyclohexene. This reaction
involves the 1,4-addition of a conjugated diene in the s-