What they do
Where they come from
Genomic libraries vs cDNA libraries
Ways a bacteria can gain new DNA
Describe process of gel electrophoresis
What makes the molecules move
Why do they
1. Which of the following statements is correct about diffusion?
a. It is very rapid over long distances
b. It requires an expenditure of energy by the cell
c. It is a passive process in which molecules move from a region of higher concentration
to a regi
1. Recombination between linked genes come about for what reason?
a. Mutation on one homolog is different form that on the other homolog
b. Independent assortment sometimes fails because Mendel had not calculated
c. When genes are linked the
The regulatory process that is associated with the TRP operon is a trp repressor, which is a protein
product of a regulatory gene called trpR. When the trp repressor binds to the operator, it blocks the
attachment of RNA polymerase to the promoter, preven
1. If a Drosophila female has a homozygous mutation for a maternal effect gene, _.
a. She will not develop past the early embryonic stage
b. All of her offspring will show the mutant phenotype, regardless of their genotype
c. Only her male offspring will
1. Determination- the process by which portions of the genome are selected for expression in
different embryonic cells. This involves developmental decisions that gradually restrict cell fate.
2. Differentiation- the process of a cell changing from one ce
BIO-181 QUIZ 1 ANSWERS
1. The element present in all organic molecules is:
2. If a DNA sample were composed of 10% thymine, what would be the percentage of
1. To determine the genotype of a frequently seen orange flowering plant in a population, the plant
will be mated with _ plant.
a. Homozygous recessive
2. Mandels observation of the segregation of alleles in gamete formation has its basis in which of
1. Which of the following does not occur during mitosis?
a. Condensation of the chromosomes
b. Replication of the DNA
c. Separation of sister chromatids
d. Spindle formation
e. Separation of the spindle poles
2. Why do chromosomes coil during mitosis?
In a plant cell, DNA may be found
In the nucleus, mitochondria, and chloroplasts (each has its own DNA)
The liver is involved in detoxification of many poisons and drugs. Which of the following structures is
primarily involved in the process and therefore
1. A new DNA strand elongates only in the 5 to 3 direction because:
a. DNA polymerase can only add nucleotides to the free 3 end
2. Mendels second law of independent assortment has its basis in which of the
following events of meiosis I?
a. Alignment of t
1. Cv xAs genetic technology makes testing for a wide variety of genotypes possible, which of the
following is likely to be an increasingly troublesome issue?
a. Use of genotype information to provide positive identification of criminals
b. Using technolo
Characteristics of organisms that are good for genetic studies and why
Short generation time
Large number of offspring
Mating that can be controlled
Dont take up much space
Test cross what is it and why is it used?
This is the breeding of an organism of
1. The mechanism in which the end product of a metabolic pathway inhibits an earlier step in the
pathway is most precisely described as:
a. Metabolic inhibition
b. Feedback inhibition
c. Allosteric inhibition
d. Noncooperative inhibition
e. Reversible inh