Practice Exam 2
1. An experiment consists of picking a number at random from the set cfw_1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
What is the probability that the number selected is 4? larger than 6? A: 1/9
2. Are the following probabili
Warmup 6 Probabilities: Counting
1. An experiment consists of rolling a fair die twice. Find the probability that the dice have
a sum of 5 or the rst die shows a number less than 3.
Solution: Let E = cfw_sum of 5 and let F
Practice Exam 1 Solutions
1. 23 = 8.
2. The number of subsets of U is 210 = 1024 and A B = cfw_0, 1.
3. C(5, 2) C(6, 2) = 150.
4. The rst question asks how many outcomes consists of exactly 4 heads, which is
P (5, 1) = 5. The second asks how many of these
Practice Exam 3
1. Two dice are tossed and the lower of the two numbers is recorded. Find the
expected value of this experiment. 2.53
2. A container of lightbulbs has a 5% defective rate. What is the probability that at
Warmup 7 Conditional Probabilities
1. The probability of making an A in nite math is 0.3. The probability that a student
attends class regularly is 0.6, and the probability that a student makes an A and attends
Warmup 8 Probability Tree
1. A real quarter and a 2-headed quarter are in a hat. You select one quarter at random and
toss it twice. What is the probability that the fake quarter was tossed if the nal outcome