1. Are there any particular myths or assumptions that you thought were true about gay or lesbian
neighborhoods that Kane & McCalls research dispels, and how does the article convince you? If
the article does not change your perception in any way
1. Your reading for the week implicates a series of actors in the current foreclosure crisis. In
your opinion, of all the players in this game who is the most to blame: Banks? Mortgage
Companies? Government? Individual homeowners? Someone else?
1. What are the subareas the authors use to examine growth and decline across the metropolitan
The subareas the authors use to examine growth and decline across the metropolitan areas
are the downtown, inner city, inner-ring suburbs, and
1. What adverse consequences do Orfield suggest result from racial segregation?
Orfield suggests that segregation takes opportunities from schoolchildren, gives them a
greater risk to their health, and destroys urban life and the basis of the ci
1. What physical characteristics were essential to the locations where early Native American
settlements were established?
A physical characteristic that was essential to where Native American settlements were
established was based on water and
1. What is some of the evidence Johnson uses to refute racial stereotypes associated with the
There are quite a few racial stereotypes that Johnson proves are incorrect that are
associated with the poor. One, for example, was that p
1. In your opinion, is No Child Left Behind a color-blind or context-blind policy? In other
words, is NCLB an ethnically and racially-neutral policy? Why or why not? Use our readings so
far in this course to support your position.
In my opinion,
1. How does the information presented in this article correspond with your perception, experience,
and understanding of the relation between the police and the public?
The information that was presented in this article was similar to my u
1. What is the difference between prejudice and racism?
There is a difference between the words prejudice and racism. Prejudice refers to having
a negative judgment about a person based off of a group he or she belongs to. Racism is
Briefly describe an example from your own experience where your values were in conflict with a
policy implemented by your local or state government. What was your response (complained to
government entity, moved, changed the way you voted, etc.)
The article I chose to read was CHANGING STUDENTS UNDERSTANDING
OF RACE by Donna Hart, PhD and Pamela Ashmore, PhD. The authors of this article
are both anthropologists at the University of St. Louis and they wanted to see wh