Paper 1: Analysis of a Primary Source
Questions to answer (identify & summarize [1-2 pages]):
A. Who created it (source) and what was their POV?
B. What type of document is it? What was the audience?
C. Summarize (what factual info is conveyed? What langu
1. How do environments shape human communities and communities alter their environments?
2. What are the characteristics of civilization?
- cities, government, religion, social structure, writing and art (modern)
- development w/ a set idea in mindconscio
11. Who were the Indo-Europeans? What was their significance during the Second Intermediate Period?
- migrations from Black Sea, brought languages (base for Greeks, Romans, Persians, Aryan Indians,
modern Europe & America)
- Hittites: most powe
16 November 2016
Guibert de Nogent: The Revolt in Laon, 1115
The Revolt in Laon is an account told by the monk Guibert de Nogent on Laon, a prosperous
cathedral town in the twelfth century. Guibert
16. Explain the basis of Spartas power and the problems that resulted from it. (Peloponnese, Messenia,
- emerged from Dorian-speaking tribes in Dark Age, settled in Peloponnese along Eurpotas River,
conquered Messenia (Pylos)acquisition caused Spar
1. Does civilization promote peace or increase potential for conflict?
- peace within, conflict outsideunity or disunity
2. Who was Hammurabi and why was his Babylonian Empire difficult to govern? Explain how the Code
of Hammurabi was an effort to solve t
1. Why is the Greco-Roman era called the Wests classical period? Legacy? Dangers and advantages of
respect for the past?
- Why: distinguishing (Western civ.) characteristics blossomed during era, era defined Western way
- Legacy: no single outlook
18. Explain [Five] Good Emperors. Trajan and Hadrian.
- Good Emperors: Senate assassinated Domitian, he had no heirs, Senate appointed new emperor
- Trajan: general, Nerva adopted (@ 44yrs. old), stationed around Rhine, adoption more certain
path to thron
1. Under the Roman Empire the Mediterranean world moved towards integration, whereas with the
decline of the empire it moved toward disintegration and conflict. Explain.
- Romans took everything, then took too much and FIGHTING.
2. Should freedom of relig
1. How did Europe build on its legacies from the ancient world?
- it was different from the rest of the West so when it spread through the world European culture
made Western culture a new thing
2. Who were the Franks and what was their experience prior t
16. How did Louis the Pious manage first to preserve the unity of Charlemagnes empire and then to
help bring about its division? (Treat of Verdun, Lotharingia/Lorraine) What happened to the imperial
title? Were the three new kingdoms merely artificial pol
1. What roles do reason and emotion play in shaping the course of a civilization? (Pericles Funeral
- influence of behavior
2. The Greek victories at Salamis and Plataea did not end the conflict with Persia. Explain and discuss the
18. Roman Revolution, its cause, republic (patrician, plebian, Senate).
- Roman Revolution: Etruscan city (Tarquinia); drained swamplands & made Forum (market), built
largest Italian temple (on Capitoline hill), republic established by revolutionaries aft
1. What circumstances are likely to undermine government by the people?
- cultural development, opinions
2. Greeks despair of democracy after the Peloponnesian War. What did they look to?
- power vacuum, in-fighting, warhordes of mercenaries, convinced so
22. What was the Byzantine Empire and how was it related to but different from the Western Roman
Empire? (Silk Road, Constantinople)
- Byzantine Empire: eastern Roman Empire after western was gone, ardently Christian state w/
Greek-speaking pop. & partial
22. What is history? Herodotus & Thucydides. Alike and different?
- Greek history = not first to record, looked at patterns to make past meaningful, like philosophers,
explain world in human terms, geography
- Hecataeus: first great cultural geographer, a
1. Do people prefer order to liberty? (pax Romana)
- pax Romana = Roman peace
2. How did the Republic try to avoid tyranny and why did this fail? What did republicans think of
- they didnt like monarchy
3. Starting in 29 BC, how did Octavian bri
European History 1112, (WEB)
First Exam, Spring 2017
I. Answer the following 3 questions in essay form
1. Why did Peter the Great wish to modernize Russia on the Western model? (3 points)
a. Peter the Great recognized that R
Mark S. Bocija
April 3, y
Historical Essay #2
I want to start of by saying that I think Caesar was tyrant and a power
hungry leader during the time of the electing he had messed with it thus in
turn helping him in the long run.
April 3, y
Mark S. Bocija
April 3, y
Historical Essay #1
European History to 1648
Antigone contrasts two types of law and justice: divine or religious law
on one hand, and the law of men and states on the other. it makes the characters make a morel deci
March 1, 2016
Wifely Duties of 1416
So it seems like right off the bat there are three things that you need to go off of love for
her husband, modesty of life, and diligent and complete care of domestic matters. If a hu
Julius Caesar Assassinated by the Roman Senate
In this essay Ill be discussing the assassination of Julius Caesar. I believe Caesar was
making the best of a bad situation that he was in, and Julius Caes
Chamberlain College of Nursing
NR 228, Nutrition, Health and Wellness
Nutrition is the study of food at work in our bodies, our source for energy, and the medium for
Figuring IV Flow Rate, Infusion Time, and Total Volume
Whenever youre administering intravenous (IV) infusions, you need to know the flow rate, infusion time, and total
volume. Fortunately, calculating any one of these three variables is easy to do when y
Jackson, L. (2000). I have lived a thousand years: Growing up in the Holocaust. London: Pocket Books.
This is an important book for my research paper because this book is about a girl named Ellie,
who was Jews and was targeted by the Germans. Ellie and he
In looking at the Pope John Paul IIs visit to Nicaragua back in 1983, the catholic people that
wanted to reform Nicaragua into a more peaceful less violent place where left to be extremely
disappointed after the Popes visit. This is because the Catholics