Quiz Unit 3
What is Ragtime?
I think this is a great link concerning that Jazz subgenre of Ragtime, Due to the fact that this is
the essence of Ragtime and to show others what is RAGTIME in itself. He say
1) In what ways were the gangster controlled Harlem nightclubs different than the Harlem
The nightclubs were more expensive, for one. An average night out would cost around $15,
while the dance halls were usually only fifty c
1) What impact did the recording ban have on bebop?
The recording ban was started at the same time bebop was being created. This meant that only
the people in Harlem heard the emerging sound during its infancy. Also, the end of the ban
1. How did the Civil Rights Movement affect the development of the free jazz movement?
The free jazz movement was brought about because of the progression of the civil rights movement.
When Brown v. Board was decided it spurred artist of all kin
I really liked John Coltrane's Resolution. This is considered to be part of Avant
Garde jazz. I didn't enjoy the song at first because there was so much going
on. The different rhythms and sounds was almost overwhelming. Once I
started to pick out
1) New Orleans helped Jazz music thrive and grow for many reasons! One was the
fact that many immigrants brought their musical traditions and kept them alive.
There were also many festivities such as Mardi Gras where black slaves were
1) The 5 things that define jazz music are Improvisation, Rhythm, Dissonance, Jazz
Interpretation, and Interaction. Improvisation is the ability to make up the music
as it goes along. Jazz music and its sub-genres have specific rhythms that are
1) The gangster controlled Harlem nightclubs and Harlem dance halls were different
in several ways. The gangster controlled nightclubs had white only admittance
and kept out the African-Americans, but the Harlem dance halls, both African
Stan Getz really called my attention! Its a very simple but excellent song! It is
considered from the Jazz Cool Era! The song uses a lot of the saxophone and the drum
set (hi-hat more t
han anything) and the rest of the instruments are just the
My music journey has been an interesting one in these past few weeks. I am constantly listening
to music for 2-3 hours a day while I am at the gym and driving in my car. But I feel like I am on
a constant search for new music. I miss the fee
Listening Quiz 2
1. Why was Louis Armstrong considered one of the worlds greatest jazz musicians? Find your favorite
link to his music online and paste it here with your answer.
He is one of the people to MOST influence the jazz movement. Due to his techn
Palomar Community College Jazz Concert
The jazz band I observed played a series of six different songs. Although all the songs
were categorized as jazz, each song had its own special style and sound to it. The band
consisted of many different students of
Quiz Unit 4
1) Benny Goodman played the clarinet in this song. The song is called Sing, Sing, Sing
and would be classified under the BIg Band genre.
2) B - Rock
3) This was during mainstream era but Fitzgerald is singing Bebop. Ella Fitzgerald. Bebop
1) Louis spent time at the New Orleans Home for Colored Waifs because of
delinquent behavior as a youth.
2) While at the New Orleans Home for Colored Waifs he developed his cornet
playing skills. He learned discipline and was given musical training. He
1. Jazz is hard to define because there are so many styles of music that could be considered
jazz. There are five basic guidelines that help with detouring the difference between jazz
and other genres of music. Improvisation is a crucial aspect that many