Ronald Reagan effectively used many of the skills he learned as an actor and
applied them to his role as President. These skills included using a complex variety of
words and gestures adding to his mythic American identity and conception of
President as a sign synopsis
1. The President acts as a sign because he represents a system of beliefs and values rather than
himself. They are really just an actor who is elected to portray an amalgam of belief systems. To
Tocqueville, the role
November 11 Synopsis: RCL Chapter 3
1. Dominant reading: The interpretation of rhetoric that fellow citizens would
expect; the reading that is agreed upon on a widespread basis (65).
2. Negotiated reading: A reading in which the viewer accepts so
They Say, I Say Templates for Introducing Ideas
Introducing Standard Views:
Americans today tend to believe that .
Conventional wisdom has it that
Common sense seems to dictate that .
My whole life I have heard it say that .
Many people assume that .
COMM 223: Rhetoric
Final Speech: Rhetorical Analysis
Topic Proposal due: Friday, November 22, by noon, via email.
Speaking Dates: December 2, 4, 6, 9
Duration of Speech: 7-8 minutes. 1 minute of Q & A.
To develop effective critical and analyti
November 6 Synopsis, RCL Chapter 4
1. Syllogism: A claim that offers a conclusion, which stems from the relationship
between two truths, or premises. For example: Basketball is a sport. Kobe Bryant
plays basketball. Therefore, Kobe Bryant plays a
COMM 223 The President as Sign
October 9, 2013
1. Reagan constructed his persona rhetorically through his autobiography and speeches.
Also, he utilized his skills as an actor to help with his roles as a candidate and then later
the President of the United
You will be perceived as a more credible speaker when you use multiple sources and
cite these sources in the body of your speech. Doing the actual research is only half the
job in developing a speech; much of that researc