Bio - Just Genes
Contain a variety of organelles (organised structures within cell) nucleus is of most
importance to study of genes + inheritance
Nucleus contains genetic information; coded instructions which determine what chemicals a
cell will mak
Biology 1 Revision
Discovered vaccines against rabies, fowl cholera and anthrax
Discovered the method of preserving food by means of pasteurization (microbes killed by
heating liquids = pasteurisation. amount of microbes killed depends on
Lighton article questions:
1. Briefly describe the three hypotheses concerning the evolution of the
gas exchange strategy among insects and other arthropods.
The effects is minimal if wild-type, rather than genetically compromised
1. What would Lehrman and Kuo make of this study? For Lerhman, does ruling out "genetic" factors make
sense? How does the basic "is this genetic or learned" question read to a dedicated follower of Lehrman?
Are trial and error, versus observ
Vogel (1994) Nature's Pumps.
1. Is it proper to argue that an open circulatory system is inferior?
An open circulatory system works by blood being pumped forward by the heart, then flowing
through the body cavity directly cleansing the inter
Vogel article questions:
1. Look at figure 4 and explain why the exchange time goes down while
the external wind and internal flow goes up?
Flow in a burrow is nearly a linear function of flow outside at all but very low
airspeeds. Using the
Lenfant article questions:
1. What were the three physiological factors mentioned in the paper that could be
responsible for this hypoxic endurance? Which of these factors does the paper focus the
Metabolic adjustments such as the
Rolls articles questions:
1. How is Olestra able to avoid being absorbed in the gut? Whats the biochemistry?
Olestra is not hydrolyzed by gastric or pancreatic lipases, so it is not digested or absorbed
Olestra does not release free fatty
SEM: Animal Physiology
Albert; 1974_ article questions
What is the potential benefit to humanity of doing such basic
scientific research on moth species?
A benefit to this specific scientific research on moth species is it could p
1. What is the benefit, if any, of this research to humanity?
The ability to control insect flight would be useful for studies of insect communication, mating
behavior and flight energetics, and for studying the foraging behavior of insect pr
Castellucci Article Questions
1. What is the meaning of the term plastic, as the authors use it? What does it imply
about the synaptic connections between the sensory and motor neurons in this
The term plastic meaning plasticity, or s