April 26, 2012
Book Report: The Geography of Thought
The Geography of Thought by Richard E. Nisbett explores the cognitive
differences between Western and Eastern people. Through research and studies Nisbett
and other scholars try to explain why the
International Communication Week 4
2/14 International broadcast
Government and non-governmental organizations broadcast international for
o Prestige (they are big company they want everyone to know)
o Because the have specific interest (like the USA broa
International Communication Week 3
2/7 no notes
2/9 News agencies and Wire services
News agency: doesnt actually publish the stories, they go out and find them but then
they sell or distribute them to other newspapers, tv stations, radio station ect.
International Communication Week 2
The Patriot Act: lets information that comes into the US borders the government
can intercept the phone call (if it doesnt come through the US they cant monitor
- Sona systems: they research stuff
o They get y
International Communication Week 1 Notes
Communicating between two different countries (can also be statements and
International communication: Communication (the flow of information) that
crosses national boarders
o Some people say that if it
Geography of Thought: How Asians in westerns think differently and why?
People in different cultures make sense of things in different ways
Where do these differences come from?
o The west comes mainly from Greece
o The East comes mainly from China, Japan
COMM 4044 Quiz 4
1. What is the coriolis effect?
a. In physics, the Coriolis effect is a deflection of moving objects when they
are viewed in a rotating reference frame.
2. What is the difference between a hurricane and a typhoon?
a. A hurricane is in the
COMM 4044 Quiz 3
1. What is the Voice of America? The Voice of America is one of the most trusted
sources for news about the United States and around the world. It is part of the United
States federal government and it has a wide range of programming.
COMM 4044 Quiz 2
1. What is the Treaty of Tordesillas? The Treaty of Tordesillas from 1494 was between Portugal
and Spain. It was signed to divide up land the New World.
2. Where is Easter Island? Easter Island is located in the southeastern Pacific Ocean
COMM 4044 Quiz 1
1. Which country was elected in 2003 to chair the (now-defunct) U. N. Human Rights
2. What is a mooncake? A mooncake is a Chinese bakery item that is traditionally eaten during
the Mid-Autumn Festival. Mooncakes are pastry ite
International Communication Week 5
2/21 Political of global communication
3 domains of issues
o 1. Telecommunications (deals with data transfers of all kind)
o 2. Intellectual property
o Mass media (ITS THE MEDIA ARE.not the media is) medium is