1. The most common type of failure in foundations is differential settlement, in which overall
settlement of the building is not excessive, but differences in the amount of settlement between
different areas of the bu
Fundamentals Review Ch 9
1. igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic. sedimentary cannot be polished and is soft and
even-grained. metamorphic is is harder and has pronouced vein patterns, and can be polished.
igneous is a harder stone
Estimating Review Ch 8
1. What are the advantages to a small contractor of renting equipment instead of owning? the
contractor can get the most suitable piece of equipment, its most likely newer and in a better
state of repair, renta
Fundamentals Ch 5
3. Balloon framing is constructed of slender, closely spaced wooded members. Advantages are
each piece could be handled easily by one carpenter, disadvantages are the use of the full length
studs that run from found
Estimating Review Ch6
1. overhead costs are generally divided into hime office overhead costs and job overhead costs.
home office overhead costs include items that cannot be readily charged to any one project, but
represent the cost
1. Heavy timber framing receives relatively favorable fire ratings because large timbers catch fire
and burn relatively slowly, and do not lose strength as quickly as unprotected steel members
during a fire.
2. The b
1. Why should a notebook of the estimate be kept? What items should be kept in it? so the
estimator can keep track of what has been done, and what numbers have been used and to keep
all information in one place.
Estimating Review Ch 7
1. the labor hour
2. Both extreme hot and cold will tend to slow down the pace of work.
3. cycle time is used to estimate productivity, one example is a truck hauling earthworks in cycle.
4. when work is perfor
Estimating Review Ch9
1. What type of information about the excavation can the estimator learn from the
specifications? Special notes should be taken into consideration such as the location of utility
lines. most of the time damage t
Fundamentals Ch1 Review questions
1. Sustainable building is building to meet the needs of the present generation without
compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs. It is important so society
Fundamentals Ch 6 Review
1. The roof of a platform frame building is finished first to shelter interior space from weather as
early as possible. This involves first finishing the rakes and eaves, then shingling the roof. Next,
Fundamental Review Ch 8
2. brick, stone, concrete
3. soft mud process molds bricks by molding molding moist clay into bricks. the dry process uses
a high pressure machine to force dry clay into molds. The stiff mud process, extr
Fundamental Ch 3 questions
1. springwood cells are larger and less dense in substance than summerwood cells. both have a
direct bearing on the structural properties of the tree.
2. sugar pine, douglas fir, softwoods are used for the