Corn variations or types include flour, flint, dent, sweet and popcorn. Its the
last two you are probably most familiar with.
Flour soft grinding corn, used for flour, masa and fresh tamales, or is fresh
Flint kernels are hard and shatter when gr
1. How do you think cultural or physical isolation - or the lack of isolation - affects
changes in food traditions?
2. What is your local restaurant food landscape like? Why do you think it's like
that? Besides looking at your community, check the local y
1. In this course, what idea or concept will you take with you and why? What
about it made an impact on you?
2. Why is understanding local foods and their availability important? (ex. finding
out what is made locally, is a local specialty, or grown here v
1. Based on the NPR audio (see lecture) on soulfood, what is the meaning of
soulfood and is there a personal attachment to soulfood by callers? Why is rice
2. In your experience, what is traditional food from the Southwest? Is all "Mexica
Here as some basic info/definitions of commonly thought of Mexican foods:
Taco A tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. The tortillas can be hard fried or
soft, flour or corn.
Burritos - Burritos combine the ancient tradition of a filled tortillas wi