Rabbis becoming the ones responsible to keep the religion going. Rabbi
one or leader with a connotation of teacher
The rabbis said you could follow the laws of your host land and still be
Jewish. In fact
I.a. Jews began to recognize themselves as a part of these different
Primarily from Spain and Portugal
Central and Eastern Europe - Germany
Hebrew comes from the word habiru which means somewhat of an outcast or misfit,
someone with no home land
Roughly 1800 B.C. from around the city of Ur and traveled to Haraan
The idea of a Covenant or berith- with God is why Abr
I. The Hellenistic Period
- Time period after Alexander the Great conquers Persians (331 BCE)
- Hellenizo "I Speak Greek"
- Jewish traditions are amended and prodded by a larger Mediterranean culture
- Majority of Jews live in
Early Interpretation of Christianity
a. He was the leader of the most dominant strand of Christianity.
a. He was "Saul of Tarsus"
a. Became Paul after an encounter with Jesus.
b. He was a Jew who was going to arrest Christians who were believed to
Christianity in the Roman Empire
Rome was worshipping multiple deities. They were expected to
support and follow Roman gods.
Christianity was monotheistic.
They tried to get along and tried not to follow practices of Romans.
I. Islamic Background
Meaning to submit to the will of God
Deeper meaning in the root word slm that leads to different interpretations
Peace submission to the will of God that brings peace
Soundness total submission brings soundness of n
I. Emergence of Israelite Kingship
* tabernacle "The tent for the presence." (portable sacred space. )
* ark of the covenant (big box in which the tablets of stone written upon by the finger of
placed inside) physical remembrance of the cov
The Emergence of Judaism
I. The Place to Begin
* Religion of the people of Judah
* Judah is one of two kingdoms founded by the Hebrews. Capitol was Jerusalem
Babylonians in 586 B.C.E.). Israel (Other kingdom) fell.
* Hebrew people were not u
The Age of Reformations
Reformation and Reformations
Bernard of Clairvoux (1100s)
Declension narrative: the world was once per
I. Rabbinic Movement
* temple practices are removed because temple fell and was never rebuilt
* The Sadducees were lost and fall out without a temple.
* Most Essenes were killed off by Romans during war
* Zealots led revolt against Rome a
Emerging Organization of Christianity
Certain people started doing certain things. Took charge of
religious affairs. Others would try to convert others.
Grades of Ordination
Ordained as authoritative, then master it.