Obeyesekere uses two different definitions of how symbols become cultural; through
cultural objectification and cultural subjectification. Objectification is an internal state turned
into something the outside world can visualize. Subjectification happ
1. An example of charismatic authority not listed in the reading is Moses, a leader and
prophet in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. He received his power from God when he
encountered the Burning Bush and took that power to lead the Israelites out of Egyp
1. a. Hindu India : Rama : Muslim India : Ravana
b. Rama Temple : Sita : Babri Mosque : Ravana
c. Rath Yatra : Rama's Quest : Destruction of Babri Mosque : The Great Battle
2. Schrebers state of consciousness in June of 1893, or rather unconsciousness, is
1. One of the first symptoms that occur to Schreber is the sensitivity to light and noise,
commonly caused by that of migraine headaches. Migraines are caused by neuronal
mechanisms in the brain and spinal cord. This symptom of sensitivity to light
Demonic Possession through the Spheres of Hinduism, Christianity, and Secularism.
I think there are such things as demon influence but I think its rare. People are too
quick to diagnose demons. Human nature is plenty evil on its own, says Pastor Steven
1. In Michael Pollans The Botany of Desire he discusses mimetic theory, the creation of
ideas, and how things become cultural in the section of the book dedicated to
intoxication. In class we linked Obeyesekeres symbols in relation to cat me
1. Is it ethical to use the religious rite of exorcism to popularize and advertise movies?
2. At what point does Speaking in tongues change from being holy, to being possessed by
3. When did drug use become the new demon, or do you believe that d
The stone idols of India function as symbols according to Geertzs definition of religion.
First, they are a system of symbols that are made to look just like the Gods they worship.
Second, they establish powerful pervasive, long lasting mood motivation. T
1. Lord Raglans myth theory is based around rituals. The myth explains why one does a
ritual. Levi-Strauss theory is that myths are used to resolve humans own contradictions
and are the best way to understand culture.
2. Bobbing for apples around the time
1. Both The Hawaii Trickster myths and the myth of Guru Nanak involve a miraculous birth.
Ka-ulu is born in the form of a rope and Guru Nanak does not cry upon birth and is
surrounded by a light and aura.
2. Levi-Strauss is the theorists that best suits m
What we know about Eliade does not demand that we reevaluate his theories. While
reading his book, I found no anti-semantic undertones that would make me question whether I
should hold true what I have read. I think the most important thing to notice when
1. Two patterns that most apocalypse stories seem to have are the fall of mankind, in a sense
that they have lost their way, and destruction by fire. In the Kali Age there are clear shifts
in behavior. People are greedy, they have no true virtue, and are