Establishment of the empire Marc Antony
1. Caesar had a close friend and a capable successor in Marc Antony. 2. When Antony was elected Consul, another of Caesar's lieutenants, Marcus
Aemilius Lepidus, became the Master of the Horse.
3. Since the "liberat
1. In 27 BCE Octavian was given the title Augustus, Princeps, Imperaor and Pater
2. He was granted the power of the Tribune for life and appointed Consul for life
then elected as Pontifex Maximus. Augustus' Provinces
1. Augustus eventual
The Crisis of the Third Century Vandals
1. From Eastern Germany, a tribe known as the Vandals pushed southward. 2. They are best known for their sack of Rome in 455 BCE.
1. To pay for the extensive army emperors began debasing coins.
Age of the Barbarians A Divided Empire
1. By 350 BCE, the Roman Empire decided that the best way to administer such a
large area and control its massive borders was to divided in two.
2. One Emperor ruled in the East, the other in the West. 3. In time, th
Bronze age civilizations 1 Began between 4000 and 3000bce First bronze age civilizations appeared in Mesopotamia Noted for invention of writing .large cities,and hierarchical societies 2Developments Agriculture expanded due to technical innovations. Most
Predynastic Archaic Egypt 1Egypt Most well known Bronze age society Pharos Hieroglyphics Pyramids The Mummy series 2 similarities Both Mesopotamia and Egypt were River Valley societies Both developed fixed settlements about the same time Egpyt , however u
The middle and new k ingdom
The fi rst inte rmediate period
-this was a period of government anarchy -there was no central government -elsewhere, such a period is called a "Dark Age"
The middle k ingdom
-by 2050 BCE, Egypt's central government regained co