Physics 3410 Final Exam Solutions
1. What is the only way a system can lose entropy?
By releasing heat
Which thermodynamic potential has the natural variables S , P , and N ?
A) internal energy U B) enthalpy C) Helmholtz free energy D) Gibbs free
Physics 3410 Exam 2 Solutions
The gure shows an insulated box divided in two
by a massless, frictionless piston. If the piston moves toward the side with less pressure, then the total entropy of
the system will
A) increase B) stay the same C) decre
1. An ideal gas (f = 5) is compressed from 2 m3 to 1 m3 , at
standard pressure. The gass initial temperature is 300 K.
3 (a) What is the gass nal temperature?
3 (b) What is the change in the gass internal energy U ? (Hint:
if you need N , solve f
1. An asteroid belt is an example of a miserly system, with negative
B) heat capacity
2. Object P has T=300K, and object N has T=300K. Which happens?
A) heat ows from N to P B) heat ows from P to N C) neither of these
Physics 3410 Quiz 9
1. Temperature is an _ quantity.
2. The equation 0 = S dT V dP + N d is the _ relation.
3. A system in contact with the atmosphere reaches eq
Physics 3410 Quiz 8
1. Which of the following is a refrigerator?
Given the thermodynamic identity dF= S dT P dV + dN
2. What are the natural variables of F?
A) T, P, and N
B) T, V, and N
Physics 3410 Quiz 6
1. The gamma function of an integer can also be written as
A) an exponential
B) a factorial
C) a logarithm
2. If system A has SA=3 J/K of entropy and B has SB=2 J/K of entropy, the total
entropy of both systems combined is
Physics 3410 Quiz 3
1. Consider an ideal gas with constant pressure and number of particles. If the
temperature decreases, the gass volume
B) stays constant
2. If a gas is compressed, work ows
A) into the gas B) out o
Physics 3410 Quiz 5
1. If a=50 and N>1, which of the following is a good approximation?
2. In the Einstein solid, the high temperature regime is when
C) Both of these
D) Neither of these
3. Consider two Einstein
Physics 3410 Quiz 1
Please write the letter of the correct answer in the box provided.
1. Consider a box lled with gas. Initially, the total kinetic energy of
the molecules on the left side is 20J and the total kinetic energy on the
right side i
Physics 3410 Quiz 2
1.Iron has a higher specic heat than copper. If a kilogram of each are placed in the Sun,
which will be warmer after an hour?
A) the iron
B) the copper
2. Block A has twice the heat capacity of block B. A is 10C and B is 20
Physics 3410 Quiz 10
1. In the van der Waals equation, b represents
P + a 2 (V N b) = N kT
A) the minimum volume per molecule
B) the effect of external pressure on the gas
C) the attractive short-range forces between molecules
2. The gu
Physics 3410 Quiz 4
Consider a two-state paramagnet with ve dipoles.
1. How many microstates does this paramagnet have?
2. How many energy macrostates does this paramagnet have?
3. The gur