Assignment 7 Answers
1. _Sampling error_ is the natural discrepancy, or amount of error,
between a sample statistic and its corresponding population parameter.
2. The _distribution of sample means_ is the collection of sample means for all
1. In analysis of variance (ANOVA), the variable (independent or quasi-independent) that designates the
groups being compared is called a(n)_factor_.
2. The individual conditions or values that make up a factor are called the
1. In a repeated-measures ANOVA, the denominator of the F-ratio is called the _residual
variance_, or the _error
variance_, and measures how much variance is expected if there
are no systematic treatment effects and no individ
Assignment 9 Answers
1. The _estimated standard error (sM)_ is used as an estimate of the real
standard error M when the value of is unknown. It is computed from the sample variance or
sample standard deviation and provides an estimate of t
PSY 216-01, -02
1. A research design that uses a separate sample for each treatment condition (or for each population) is
called a(n) _independent samples_ research design or a _between
subjects _ design.
2. Problem 3 from the text
Assignment 8 Answers
1. A(n) _hypothesis test_ is a statistical method that uses sample
data to evaluate a hypothesis about a population.
2. The _null hypothesis (H0)_ states that in the general population there
is no change, no difference,
Assignment 4 Answers
1. _Variability_ provides a quantitative measure of the differences between scores in a
distribution and describes the degree to which the scores are spread out or clustered together.
2. The _range_ is the distance from
Assignment 5 Answers
1. A(n) _z score_ specifies the precise location of each X value within a distribution.
The sign signifies whether the score is above (+) or below (-) the mean and the numerical value
specifies the distance from the mea
Assignment 6 Answers
1. For a situation in which several different outcomes are possible, the _probability_ for
any specific outcome is defined as a fraction or a proportion of all the possible outcomes.
2. A(n) _independent random sample_
Assignment 2 Answers
1. A(n) _frequency distribution_ is an organized tabulation of the number of
individuals located in each category on the scale of measurement.
2. In a(n) _symmetric distribution_ it is possible to draw a vertical line
Assignment 3 Answers
1. _Central tendency_ is a statistical measure to determine a single
score that defines the center of a distribution. The goal of central tendency is to find the single score
that is most typical or most representative