Review Chapter 19
1. Vibrations are a periodic wiggle in Time. Waves are vibrations that propagate in
2. Waves transmit energy, not matter.
3. Amplitude is the maximum displacement from equilibrium.
4. PE is a maximum at the point of maximum displa
Review for Chapter 19
1. What is the definition of frequency?
2. What is meant by the period?
3. What is meant by the wave length?
4. How is the speed of a wave related to the frequency and the wavelength?
5. How many wavelengths does an object travel in
Review For Chapter 7
1. What is the definition of work?
2. Does every force do work?
3. Is work always positive?
4. When is work done by a force negative?
5. When is work done by a force zero?
6. How does work done by a certain force depend on the di
Study Guide Test 3
1. The amount of heat absorbed by a certain cold substance when placed in the thermal
contact with a hot substance depends on:
a. The temperature difference only
b. The type of substance only
c. The mass and the type of the temperature
Review for Chapter 6
1. Is momentum a vector or a scalar?
2. How does momentum vary with mass?
3. How does momentum vary with speed?
4. How is the direction of momentum related to that of velocity?
5. How is Impulse related to the force?
6. How is impulse
Study Guide for Test 5
1. The voltage induced in a coil is proportional to the number of loops in the coil
2. The voltage induced in a coil in a coil is proportional to the rate at which the magnetic
field is changing
Study Guide Test 2
1. You drop a 2Kg mass straight down. In the absence of air resistance, what is the
magnitude of momentum of this mass 1 second after it left your hand?
2. A 3Kg mass is free falling. In the absence of air resistance, what is the magnit
Review Questions for Chapter 10
1. What can you say about the path of an object undergoing projectile motion?
How does the acceleration of an object undergoing projectile motion change from one
point to another along its path?
What is the x-componen
Review Chapter 6 - Momentum
1. Momentum P = mass x velocity =mv
Remember that P is a vector, since velocity is a vector.
2. Impulse = Force x Time
Impulse = P = change in Momentum
3. Conservation of Momentum: In the absence of an external force, the total
Review Chapter 7 - Energy
1. When we want to increase the amount of energy that an object has, we do work
on it. Work = Force x Distance
2. + Works means we have increased the objects Kinetic Energy and made it go
- Work means we have decreased th
Review Chapter 10 (Satellites)
1. If you throw an object fast enough so that the fall due to gravity matches the
falling curvature of the Earth, then the object will continually free fall around the
Earth and form an orbit. Near the surface of the Earth,
Review Chapter 9
1. Aristotle model of the Universe: Earth is at the center. Everything else moves in
perfect circles around the Earth.
2. Copernicus model of the Universe: Sun is at the center. Everything else moves in
perfect circles around the Sun.
Test 4 Study Guide
1. What is the abundant element in nature?
2. A certain nucleus has 7 protons and 8 electrons and 6 neutrons. What is the atomic
3. How many electrons are allowed in the inner most shell of an atom?
4. What is mostly responsible