3. The primary role of the paralegal in the legal system is to help lawyers in getting ready for trials,
hearings, meetings, and land closings. Paralegals do the preliminary work, drafting documents, helping
5. The legislative branch of government is the part that makes federal laws. It is known as
Congress made up of the Senate and the House of Representatives. A statute is a written law by
the legislative branch that esta
2. One must pass the bar exam before they are able to legally give their advice. By not passing the exam,
it shows that a paralegal is not qualified to give legal advice. By giving their advice without proper
PAR 112 - Final
PART A: (Page 1 3)
Maricopa County Justice Courts, Arizona
Desert Ridge Justice Court
18380 N. 40th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85032; 602-372-7000
Michelle Y. Phillips,
Case No.: CC2015-007756
1.Explain the difference between an affidavit and a declaration.
Declarations are written statements made by a witness and signed under penalty of perjury. Affidavits
are written statements by a witness made under oath and acknowledged by
27 January 2015
1. Explain subject matter jurisdiction and how it applies to litigation.
Subject matter jurisdiction is the power of a court to hear particular matters. (Page 100) Subject
matter jurisdiction would apply
February 11th, 2015
Elements of claims
Sources of Proof
Photographs of the scene
b) Breach of Duty
13 January 2015
1. According to the complaint on Page 455, the first paragraph should contain the
jurisdictional allegation. Identifying which court will have the authority over the case,
and where the complaint is being
1. The key components to structuring an investigation into a new case are: Elements of claims,
sources of proof, informal fact investigation, and formal discovery. (Page 21) The elements of
claims are each potential claim, relief, and def
22 January 2015
1. The work product privilege is a qualified privilege for the work papers, notes, memoranda, and
reports gathered or prepared by an attorney or his assistant in anticipation of litigation. (Page
PAR 112 Lesson 2
1. Explain the work-product doctrine and what information the privilege protects.
2. Identify one example of a conflict of interest from the lesson notes.
3. Describe the attorney-client privilege and explain how it operates.
4. Explain t
Graded Lesson 2 Quiz: Short answer (60 points)
For each response, please use complete sentences and appropriate punctuation. If you rely on your text,
please cite the page number referenced in your response.
1. Explain what is meant by f
Par 106 - 42833
Essay one: Page 1-6
Essay two: Page 7
Essay three: Page 8
Essay 4: Page 9
Par 106 - 42833
Essay 1: Using the information from the case study in Appendix 1
PAR 106 42833
Written Jury Questionnaire
1. Do or have you ever had a drivers license?
a. If so, how many years of driving experience do you have?
2. How do you feel about driving while impaired or under the influen
1. Describe some of the duties a paralegal is expected to perform within the legal team.
The responsibilities as a paralegal are resourcefulness, commitment, analytical skills, interpersonal skills,
professionalism, and communication skil
Lesson 5. Chapters: 7 10 14
Graded Lesson 5 Short Answer Quiz: (60 points)
Each question may have more than one part, so read each query carefully. Please use complete
sentences to answer the following questions:
1. Describe the three different ty
To: Supervising Attorney
Date assigned: September 14, 2014
Due date: September 20, 2014
Re: Case Brief: Kyllo v. United States
Pages: 92 96 & Pg.: 521
The judicial history: Kyllo was charged with a federal drug charge. After unsuccessfully
PAR 106 8/28/2014
Non-graded Lesson Assignment: Reread the case of Koon v. United States, Powell v.
United States, 518 U.S. 81 (1996). See if you can more readily identify the issues
involved in the case. Outline the issue(s), the court's analysis and the
1. Non-lawyers potentially practice law when they engage in what types of activities?
Non-Lawyers potentially practice law when giving legal advice or stating their opinion on a case. (Ethics
for the legal profession, pages 34-51) Most p
1. A paralegals competence means what?
A paralegals competence means requiring the legal knowledge, skill, thoroughness, and preparation
reasonable necessary. (Ethics for the Legal Professional, Pages 187-188) A paralegal has the duty, as
1. What does a paralegals involvement in screening for potential conflicts of interest upon
2. Ethical obligations concerning conflicts of interest involve what relationship?
3. Ethical obligations concerning conflicts
1. What are the usual recognized methods by which paralegals may be regulated?
The usual recognized methods by which paralegals may be regulated are requiring a specific
qualifications, degree, or certification. Paralegals can
1. Why do the Model Rules say that members of the legal profession should assist laypeople in
recognizing their legal problems?
2. Why should lawyers and paralegals participate in educational and public relations programs for
members of t
1. Why must clients be sure that their confidences will remain confidential?
2. What the exceptions are to when information obtained on behalf of the firms client must be
3. Is information you acquire about the represen
1. Contingent fees, value billing, and hourly billing are examples of what?
Contingent fees, value billing, and hourly billing are methods of billing for a fee agreement. (Ethics for
the Legal Professional Pages 156161)
2. Can a clients f
1. What is another expression for hiding evidence?
2. If a client comes to your office with the weapon he used to commit a crime, that weapon is part
3. In Sullins v. State Bar, when the lawyer hid a letter in order to mislead hi
PAR 112 - 24380
February 10th, 2015
A: Draft a litigation Chart for a Negligence Claim
Elements of claims
b) Breach of
Sources of Proof
Case Files by
My rational for organizing my clients documents would be in seven (7) different folders.
Police Brutality and racism
o Chaney, Cassandra, and Ray V. Robertson. "Racism and police brutality in
America." Journal of African American Studies 17.4 (2013): 480+. Academic
OneFile. Web. 2 Mar. 2015.
o Anonymous. "Police Brutality." Los Angeles Times
Graded Lesson 1 Assignment: (90 possible points) Using the sample Litigation File: Jones v.
Smith, beginning on page 453 of your text, provide short answers to the following questions.
Remember that strong written communication is critical in the legal fi