1. Who sang at the Grammys in Spanish in the late 1990s? What was the
-Ricky Martin sang, and everyone liked his performance.
2. When did Latin music burst back on the scene? What song brought it back
to the mainstream? What effect did it have?
1. What were two major influences on German Baroque music? How did
these factors influence the music? The German violin, and the true chords.
They influenced Bach because they made his violin solo more interesting and
2. How did music differ bef
1. Who were the Poor Clares? Why is it somewhat surprising that they
were accomplished musicians?
-The Poor Clares were an order of nuns. They secluded themselves
from the rest of the world, so how would they learn how to play without
someone teaching the
1. The following answers are located in the articles. Read through the articles
to answer each question:
a. Which instrument looks like a snake? the serpent
b. Which instrument is played by winding a crank? The hurdy- gurdy
c. Which instrument "is a loud
1. Describe some of the influence of Latin music in the US in the early
part of the twentieth century.
-Latin music, was a fusion of jazz and African music. Most of the time it
had Spanish lyrics and instruments but an African beat.
2. What was the signif
1. What are the basic elements of music?
The basic elements of music are pitch, rhythm, dynamics, melody, and
2. What is pitch?
Pitch is the frequency of a sound, it relates to the highness, or lowness
of a tone that we hear.
1. What is the Hurrian song? Why is it important?
-It is a set of fragmentary relics, and its a nearly complete example of
notated music from 1400 BCE.
2. What is the Natya Shastra? Why is it important?
-It is a written discourse on the p
Review Question s
1. What are figured bass and basso continuo? How are they related? -The
figured bass is musical notations using numbers to indicate chords, intervals
and other aspects in relation to the bass note. The basso continuo is the
harmony of th
1. What is a symphony? A symphony is an elaborate composition, an
orchestral interlude in a large scale vocal work.
2. What is a sonata? How is it related to the sonata form? A sonata is a
composition for an instrumental solo. It is relat
1. What is popular music?
-Popular music is any music since industrialization in the mid 1800s
that is in line with the tastes and preferences of the middle class.
2. What theme does pop music typically use in the lyrics? Describe one pop
1. What were the three forms of English madrigals? Describe each type.
-Madrigal Proper: Often have 3-6 voices and do not have an
accompaniment. Through Composed.
The Ballet: Lighter style, many dances to this music. Strophic.
The Ayre: V