1. What is sustainable building? Sustainability is building to meet the needs of the
present generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their
needs. Sustainable building in both their operation and construction- mu
1. What is the difference between cement and concrete? Concrete is a rocklike
material produced by mixing coarse and fine aggregates, Portland cement and water and
allowing the mixture to harden. Cement generally is any substance used to adhere
1. What is the nature of the most common type of foundation failure?
What are its causes? When different parts of a building settle at differing rates, it is
called differential settlement. Most foundation failures are attributable to excess
Chapter 8 review questions
1. How many syllables are there in the word masonry?
a. Three syllables in the word masonry.
2. What are the most common types of masonry units?
a. Brick and concrete blocks are the most common masonry units