9. The following appeared in the opinion column of a financial magazine.
On average, middle-aged consumers devote 39 percent of their retail expenditure to
department store products and services, while for younger consumers the average is only 25
10. The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper.
This past winter, 200 students from Waymarsh State College traveled to the state capitol
building to protest against proposed cuts in funding for various state college programs. The
8. The following appeared in the editorial section of a corporate newsletter.
The common notion that workers are generally apathetic about management issues is false,
or at least outdated: a recently published survey indicates that 79 percent of the nearl
3. The following appeared in a memorandum issued by a large citys council on the arts.
In a recent citywide poll, fifteen percent more residents said that they watch television
programs about the visual arts than was the case in a poll conducted five year
2. The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee
When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable
than it is today. Therefore, the Apogee Company should close down its fiel
4. The following appeared in a report presented for discussion at a meeting of the directors of a
company that manufactures parts for heavy machinery.
The falling revenues that the company is experiencing coincide with delays in
manufacturing. These delay
7. The following appeared in the health section of a magazine on trends and lifestyles.
People who use the artificial sweetener aspartame are better off consuming sugar, since
aspartame can actually contribute to weight gain rather than weight loss. For e
5. The following appeared in an announcement issued by the publisher of The Mercury, a weekly
Since a competing lower-priced newspaper, The Bugle, was started five years ago, The
Mercurys circulation has declined by 10,000 readers. The best way
6. The following appeared as part of an article in a magazine devoted to regional life.
Corporations should look to the city of Helios when seeking new business opportunities or
a new location. Even in the recent recession, Helioss unemployment rate was l
1. The following appeared as part of an annual report sent to stockholders by Olympic Foods, a
processor of frozen foods.
Over time, the costs of processing go down because as organizations learn how to do
things better, they become more efficient. In col