HIST 1493: Exam #2: Study Guide
Instructions: Be familiar with these terms and individuals. Each will be used at least once. Use your
textbook and lecture notes to learn basic information about each. In order to ensure you are learning the
1. Industrialization2. Urbanization3. Immigration- Comig INTO another country
4. Andrew Carnegie- Rags to Riches; took over the steel industry
5. Standard Oil Company6. The Gospel of Wealth- The idea that the financially successful should use their wisdom
1. American Expeditionary Force (AEF) - American armed forces under the
command of General John Pershing who fought under a separate American
command in Europe during WWI.
2. Bolsheviks- Russian revolutionary Bolsheviks forced Czar Nicholas II to
1. Birth Control Movement- Movement launched in 1915 by Margaret Sanger
in New Yorks Lower East Side. Birth control advocates hoped contraception
would alter social and political power relationships.
2. Industrial Workers of the World (IWW) - Umbrella uni
1. Yellow journalism- Term first given to sensationalistic newspaper reporting
and cartoon images rendered in yellow.
2. Farmers Alliance- Movement to form local organizations to advance farmers
collective interests that gained wide popularity in the 1880
1. Finance capitalism- Investment sponsored by banks and bankers
that typified the American business scene at the end of the 19th
2. Free silver- Term used in the late 19th century by those who
advocated mining silver dollars in addition to suppo
1. Battle of the Little Big Horn- 1876 battle begun when American cavalry
under George Armstrong Custer attacked an encampment of Indians who
refused to remove to a reservation.
2. Black Hills- Mountains in western South Dakota and northeast Wyoming