Physics The study of physical phenomena and their associated mathematical laws. All about math
Astronomy The study of celestial objects via observation of the night sky
Astrophysics The study of celestial objects using math and laws of physics.
Geological: Surface looks like desert or plains, day less than 1hour more than on earth, polar caps similar to earth but
have frozen carbon dioxide and water ice | rotation axis is tilted like earth, similar but extreme seasons bc of orbit and
When we look up into the night sky, we are:
a. Observing all celes:al objects as they are
b.Observing all celes:al objects as they will be
in the future
c. Observing all celes:al objects as they were
Homework Number 7
9. Titan has an extremely thick atmosphere full of chemicals which give Titans its color.
Made up of 90% molecular nitrogen it has argon, methane, and other hydrogen compounds.
It has a complex atmosphere but contains
Astronomy Exam 2
LIGHT, The Cosmic Messenger
- Our only link to objects outside of our solar system is the light that they produce or reflect
- Light hold information such as
Distance from the earth
Astronomy Exam 1
Read through Section 3.4 again
Scientific Method and the Hallmarks of Science.
Difference between hypothesis and theory: (theories are not truths they are simply
valid or invalid)
Astronomy is a science
- Astrology i
CHAPTER 15: Analyzing Starlight
Properties of the Stars (methods of analysis)
1. Atmosphere Composition (spectroscopy)
2. Surface Temperature (Wiens Law)
3. Radial Motion Relative to the Sun (Doppler Effect)
- Doppler Effect
- Line Broaden