Week 6, Tobin at al: "Preschool In Three Cultures Revisited" 1. How does the chapter achieve the researchers' goal of "making the familiar strange"? 2. What has stayed the same in American preschools in the last twenty years? What has changed?
Week 11: Racial and Ethnic Socialization
Crow Dog and Erdoes, "Civilize them with a Stick" Ausdale and Feagin "Using Racial and Ethnic Concepts." Lewis, "Constructing and Negotiating Racial Identity in School"
1. According to Ausdale and Feagin, in what w
Week 12 Reading Response: Lareau "Unequal Childhoods" Chapters 1-2 1. Describe the two main approaches to child rearing described by Lareau. How do they differ and why does Lareau think these differences are significant?
Soc 173: Reading Response, Week 4, Zelizer and Fass and Mason Due: In class 2/17 (2/15 is a campus furlough day)
1. Why do Fass and Mason argue that childhood as we know it today did not exist
for most Americans?
2. According to Fass and Mason, what facto
San Jos State University Sociology Department SOCI 173, Socialization, Section 1, Spring 2010
Instructor: Office Location: Telephone: Email: Office Hours: Dr. Natalie Boero DMH 211 (408) 924-5345 firstname.lastname@example.org Monday: 11:45am-1:00pm, 2:45pm-3:30p
Week 5 Reading Response: Tobin et al"Preschool in Three Cultures Revsited" Chapts. 1 and 2.
1. What changes have taken place in Chinese preschools since Tobin et al wrote their
2. How do they explain these changes? 3. How do preschools in Chin
Reading response prompt: Week 2, due in class Monday, February 1st Kingsley Davis "Extreme Social Isolation of a Child"
In his article, Davis discusses the case of "Anna," a child who was subjected to an extreme degree of social isolation from birth to ag
Reading Response Week 13: Lareau "Unequal Childhoods"
Based on the chapters you read for this week, give a specific example of the positives and negative impacts of concerted cultivation and the positive and negative impacts of the accomplishment of natur
Sociology 173: Socialization Dr. Boero, Spring 2010 Review for Midterm The exam will take place in-class on Monday, March 22nd Please bring a small UNMARKED bluebook and an 882-E scantron form with you to the exam.
The exam will cover material from lectur
Week 7: West and Zimmerman and Martin
1. What do West and Zimmerman mean when they say gender is something we
2. How does Martin's work on preschools show how gender is created in
Week 14, "Unequal Childhoods" Ch. 8, 9, and 11
Using these three cases, discuss the different relationships "natural growth" and "concerted cultivation" families have with institutions. Why are these significant in terms of social reproduction?
Week 8: Thorne and Messner
1. According to Messner, how do parents and others reinforce the idea that gender
differences are both strong and inevitable?
2. According to Thorne, what is "borderwork"? What does it tell us about the
limitations of seeing boy