Primer for Intro to IR
This is a short introduction to over two hundred years of history, intended to provide you with basic
facts about the events that form the subject matter for this semester. Our class will provide you with
Prelim for POLS 4 (20 points)
60 minutes, in-class, closed-book
Material: Primer and Mapavailable on Canvas
Section A. Answer these 10 questions in one word, one phrase or one sentence in
your answer book (not the question sheet). Each is worth 1 point.
Prep questions for Benjamin Schwarzs The Real Cuban Missile Crisis
1. In the 1960 presidential election, which defense issue did Kennedy use to attack
2. In his retirement Khrushchev said that he put missiles in Cuba so Americans would
1. Waltz claims that an effective missile defense system would disrupt the working of
mutual nuclear deterrence. Why?
2.Give any one reason why, according to Waltz, terrorism is not system-changing?
3. According to Fukuyama, is his theory of the end of hi
1. What is Yugoslavism?
2. What was the name of the socialist dictator who ruled Yugoslavia in the post-WW II
3. According to Hoffmann, who are norm entrepreneurs?
4. In what way did the devolution of power to the republic level affect the Yugosla
POLS 4 INTRO TO INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS Spring 2013
FINAL EXAM STUDY SHEET
18 of these terms will appear on your final exam (no choice). 2 more questions will be
taken from the PowerPoint presentations (not readings) on Student Choice topics, for a
1. According to Ashley Tellis, the United States hesitated to move closer to India after the
Cold War ended, although it was clearly the rising power. Why?
2. What is meant by dehyphenation or decoupling?
3. The 9/11 attacks halted the GW Bush administrat
1. Since both the British and the American fighters for independence were
white, British and Protestant, how did the Americans differentiate themselves?
Which of the following would Huntington NOT identify as
contributing to the American creed: English