Homework 1- Intro to Epidemiology
Instructions: Download and type your answers directly on this document. Save it, and upload
it to Canvas by the due date.
1. Using your own words, give a definition of epidemiology.
Epidemiology is the medical study that
Homework 7- Cohort Studies
Hantavirus in Yosemite. During the summer of 2012, 10,000 people stayed in Yosemite
National Parks Signature tent cabins. Public Health officials discovered an outbreak of
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS). A surveil
September 21, 2015
Contagion Extra Credit
1. The infectious disease I chose is Salmonella Poona that has occurred throughout multiple
states; the states greatly affected by the disease are California and Arizona.
WatersEdge Outbreak Investigation Questions
This extra credit assignment is worth up to 0.5% of your final course grade. Submit to
Instructions: Go to http:/www.mclph.umn.edu/watersedge/index.html Work
through the outbreak inve
Note: You must show your calculations for full credit
1. It was thought that cervical cancer might be caused at least in part by a sexually transmitted
agent. A study was conducted in the hospitals in Thailand to deter
HS 161: Causality
Please read the following article and answer the questions below.
Mortality in relation to smoking: 50 years observations on male British doctors
Richard Doll, Richard Peto, Jillian Boreham, Isabelle Sutherland.
1. The author
HW 2- Descriptive Epidemiology
1. Name the three types of descriptive variables and give an example of each.
Person Variables- race/ethnicity
Place Variables- country
2. State three uses for descriptive epidemiologic studies.
HW- Week 6
For each study description below, identify these study attributes:
1. What is the exposure?
2. What is the outcome?
3. What measure of frequency did the investigators use?
4. What is the research question?
5. Is the
What is the formula for incidence rate?
HW- Week 5
Intro to Analytic Epidemiology
Instructions: Answer the questions below, then submit to Canvas.
What is the difference between descriptive and analytic epidemiology?
Descriptive epidemiology describes the distribution of health relate
ICA, Week 1- Introduction to Epidemiology
1. List three examples of morbidities:
2. Choose a health-related state or event with which you are at least somewhat familiar.
a) Briefly discuss the descriptive epidemiology of this health-relat