Week 1 Assignment
1. There are many differences between Goods and Services. Services are usually intangible
and goods are mostly tangible objects. Services are produced and consumed
simultaneously while a good is something that can be produced and kept on
1. Explain why such forecasting devices as moving averages, weighted moving averages
and exponential smoothing are not well suited for data series that have trends.
The intent of moving averages and weighted moving averages is to level out variation in th
Read in the text:
pps. 520-526 in chapter 13
pps. 554-575 in chapter 14
1. Define "aggregate planning". What does the "aggregate" in
aggregate planning mean?
Aggregate planning is a process determining the quantity and timing of
production for the immedia
Exam 3: Ch.7, Ch.7S, Module D
Ch.7 Pre-quiz, homework, quizzes
An assembly line is an example of a ? repetitive process
In many applications human quality inspectors can be replaced effectively by? Vision
High-volume, low variety production is bes
OMGT 5003 Assignment 5
1. Explain the strategic importance of scheduling. Describe the
relationship between capacity planning, aggregate planning,
master production schedule, and scheduling.
a. The strategic importance of scheduling is evident:
OMGT 5003 Midterm Exam Review Topics
1. Operations Management Definition
a. Activities that relate to the creation of goods and services
through the transformation of inputs to outputs.
2. Functions required to produce goods and services
a. Marketing - ge
OMGT 5003 Final Exam Review Topics
1. Cycle counting
a. A continuing reconciliation of inventory with inventory
records (audit). It uses inventory classifications developed
through ABC analysis:
i. A method for dividing on-hand inventory into three
OMGT 5003 Assignment 1
1. Identify the differences between goods and services? How are OM decisions/focus
different between goods and services.
a. Goods are generally tangible products that the customer can see, touch, etc.
Their production is characteriz
OMGT 5003 Assignment 3
1. Describe the four process strategies? Identify the benefits and challenges
associated with the mass customization strategy.
a. The four process strategies are:
i. Process focus devoted to making low-volume, high-variety
OMGT 5003 Assignment 6
1. Discussion question 1 page 679.
a. The six steps of the decision-making process are as follows:
i. Clearly define the problem and the factors that influence
ii. Develop specific and measurable objectives;
iii. Develop a model
OMGT 5003 Assignment 4
1. Please explain the importance of inventory and the functions
a. Having enough inventory to meet customer demand is
obviously crucial to maintaining customer service and a
good company reputation, but having too much
1. What are the five core characteristics of good job design?
a. Job specialization
b. Job expansion
c. Psychological components of job design
d. Self-directed tams
e. Motivation and incentive systems
2. Rate a job you have had using Hackman and Oldhams c
Read in the text:
pps. 668-675 in Module A
pps. 690-693 in Module B
pps. 718-720 in Module C
pps. 736-740 in Module D
pps. 766-773 in Module E
pps. 782-783 in Module F
1. Use a spreadsheet to solve and present your answer to problem A.1 on p. 682.
Week 2 Assignment
1. Forecasting is important because it is the only estimate of demand until the actual
demand becomes known. The forecast of demands is what drives the decision making
process in three key areas which are supply-chain management, human r
The impact on McDonald's would be very drastic if they made their
minimum wage $15. The labor productivity per labor dollar would be
cut in half right off the bat. If they were to actually do this, they would
need to cut employee's and have to run a more
Week 5 Assignment.
1. Inventory is important because it can represent as much as 50% of the most expensive
assets of many different companies.
The four functions of inventory are:
a. To provide a selection of goods for anticipation customer demand and to
Week 7 Assignment
1. The six steps in the decision process are:
a. Clearly define the problem and the factors that influence it.
b. Develop specific and measurable objectives.
c. Develop a model that is, a relationship between objectives and variables
Week 6 Assignment
1. The strategic importance of scheduling is having effective scheduling means faster
movement of goods and services through a facility. Added capacity, faster throughput,
and the related flexibility means a better customer service throu
Week 3 Assignment
1. a. The four process strategies are Process Focus, Repetitive Focus, Product Focus, and
Mass Customization. Process focus is when a company is focused on the process of its
operation. Such as the equipment, layout, and the supervision.
Cycle Counting- A continuing reconciliation of inventory with inventory records.
Advantages of Cycle counting:
a. Eliminating the shut down and interruption of production necessary for annual physical
b. Eliminating annual inventory adjustment
OMGT 5003 Midterm Review Topics
1. Heritage of Operations Management
a. Eli Whitney (1800) interchangeable parts, achieved through standardization
and quality control
b. Frederick W. Taylor (1881) scientific management. Believed that managem
1. Computing Economic Order Quantity (EOQ), Annual Holding and Setup/Ordering costs
a. EOQ used when demand is constant, LT is known and receipt of inventory is
i. Q* =
Where D = annual demand
S = setup or ordering cost per order
H = hold
1. Solve and present the solution to problem 15.1 on p. 615. Show both
the scheduling and Gant load charts.
Stand 1: B-C-A-D
Stand 2: B-A-D-C
Stand 3: A-D-B-C
Stand 4: D-B-C-A
b. Gannt load:
OMGT 5003 Assignment 2
1. Why is forecasting important? How is forecasting used in decision-making?
a. Forecasting is important because it is the only estimate of demand until actual
demand becomes known.
b. Forecasting drives decisions in many areas, inc