1. Describe the conditions of complete solubility, partial solubility and insolubility?
Complete Solubility: If two materials are completely soluble in each other in both the liquid
and solid states, a rather simple d
1. What are the major classifications of basic manufacturing processes?
Casting, foundry, or molding process
Forming or metalworking processes
Machining (material removing) processes
Joining an assembly
1. What is impact strength, and how it is measured?
Impact strength determines a tool's toughness and its measured through impact tests such as
IZOD, Charpy v- and c- notch, and a bend fracture test.
2. What is genera
1. Describe and differentiate thermoplastic and thermosetting plastic?
The terms thermosetting and thermoplastic refer to the materials response to elevated
temperature. Addition polymers (or linear condensation polym
1. What is a ferrous material?
Iron-based metals and alloys
2. How does the recycling of steel compared with the recycling of aluminum?
Steel is magnetic which allows for easy separation and recycling. More steel is r
1. What does an oxy-fuel-gas welding torch usually have a flame with two distinct
a. The outer region is the combustion reaction of CO and H2 while the first region is the
oxygen and acetylene react to produc
1. Knowledge of which four aspects of a material is critical to its successful application in an
1) Structure 2) properties 3) processing 4) performance
2. What are some of the more common nonmetal