Origin of the Solar System
1. List at least six properties of the solar system any model of its formation must
Separate isolated planets, ecliptic, differentiation, oort cloud, kuiper belt,
planets orbits are almost circular in the same direction
1. What contributions did Chinese and Islamic astronomers make during the Dark
Ages in Europe?
Chinese: records of supernovae.
Islamic: Trigonometric methods to determine precise dates.
2. Describe the geocentric model of the Universe.
1. What did Galileo discover which supported the Copernican model? Explain.
He found that Jupiter had 4 moons orbiting the planet, and Venus went
through phases that can only be explained by the planets motion around the
2. What was
1. Compare the sizes or the Earth, Sun, Milky Way Galaxy, and the Universe as a
15, 000 km, 1,500,000, 100,000 light years, 1,000,000
What does an astronomer mean by the Universe?
The totality of all space, time, matter, and ener