22 January 2012
Hedges, C.L. (2010). War is a force that gives us meaning. In D. Barash (Ed.) Approaches to Peace
(pp. 24-26). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
1. Main Thesis: Hedges argues that war
5 February 2012
Andrew Valls vs. Kathy Boudin: Is Violence Justified?
Is terrorism justified? Most people in our contemporary western society would say that
terrorism is immoral and can never be justified. However, there is a good cha
No Future Without Forgiveness Desmond Tutu
Brian Powell, PAX 2011
1) Main Thesis: In No Future Without Forgiveness, Desmond Tutu asserts that forgiveness may be the most important act that
can be done in order to move from the past into a futur
Abstract 7 Womens Bodies: Violence, Security, Capabilities Martha Nussbaum
Brian Powell, PAX 201
1) Main Thesis: In Womens Bodies: Violence, Security, Capabilities, Martha Nussbaum presents her argument
that violence and/or the threat of violence hinder e
Letter from a Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther King, Jr.
Brian Powell, PAX 201, 27 Feb. 2012
1) Main Thesis: Letter from a Birmingham Jail is Martin Luther King, Jr.s response to several Georgia ministers
who criticized the civil rights movemen
Abstract 5 Orosco Chapter 2: The Most Vicious Type of Oppression
Brian Powell, PAX 201, 2/20/2012
1) Main Thesis: In this chapter, Orosco illustrates how Cesar Chavez argues that violence hinders the pursuit
of social justice, and that only nonviolent dir
Paulo Freires The Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Brian Powell, PAX 201, 12 Feb 2012
1) Main Thesis: Freire argues that oppression not only harms the oppressed, but also dehumanizes the oppressors. It is only the
oppressed, in a unique position
Brian Powell, PAX 201
Dalai Lama, A Human Approach to World Peace.
1) Main Thesis: In A Human Approach to World Peace, the Dalai Lama asserts that in order to create world peace
we must recognize our common humanity and show compassion to
30 January 2012
Andrew Valls, Can Terrorism be Justified.
1) Main Thesis: Andrew Valls makes the conditional argument that if war is justified by meeting the criteria
of just war theory, then terrorism ca
March 7, 2012
Martin Luther King, Jr. and Civil Disobedience
Most important to MLK, Jr.s argument for nonviolent civil disobedience is the concept
of just and unjust laws. A just law, according to King, is a man-made cod