PG 6b Early Childhood: Emotional and Social Development
1. What advances in emotional understanding and self-regulation are
expected during early childhood?
o Understand the sources of others emotions and how
PG 6a Early Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
What are the major expected changes in physical growth that take
place during early childhood?
Growth of 2-3 inches per year, 5-7 pounds per year
o Lower in developing countries (poor
PG 8b Adolescence: Cognitive Development
1. What are formal operations? How do they differ from concrete
: (Piaget) cognitive stage in which people learn to think
systematically about possibilities and hypotheses
PG 7b Middle Childhood: Emotional and Social Development
1. Briefly explain how the emotional understanding and selfregulation of children during middle childhood compares to that of
Frequency of negative emotional extremes de
PG 5a Toddlerhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
1. What is a toddler?
A toddler is between the ages of 2 and 3, and experiences changes
both gross and fine motor development
PG 5b Toddlerhood: Emotional and Social Development
1. In what specific ways do toddlers demonstrate advances in
emotional self-regulation? Provide your own examples of each.
i. Behaviors that help regulate emotions
Language to identify and
PG 7a Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
1. Discuss the role of socioeconomic status in both developing and
developed nations as it applies to malnutrition and obesity.
2. Explain why the rates of illness and injury are relativ
Chapter One: A Cultural Approach to Human Development
Total fertility rate (TFR):
Socioeconomic Status (SES):
PG 8a Adolescence: Physical Development
1. Briefly describe the following physical changes of puberty:
Puberty: changes in physiology, anatomy, and physical
functioning that develop a person into a mature adult biologically and
prepare the body
PG 8c Adolescence: Emotional and Social Development
1. What have ESM studies found regarding adolescent emotionality?
Time of emotional volatility
Decline in frequency/duration of positive moods
a. How do the findings on adolescence c
PG 9a Emerging Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development
1. What are the characteristics of emerging adulthood?
a. Why has this new stage of development emerged?
b. How, and why, does emerging adulthood vary across cultures?
2. Why might eme