Step 4: A tar file; 10240.
Step 5: Yes.
Step 7: Yes, the three files should be back, and the tar file should still be there
because the tar utility doesnt overwrite files. Instead, it makes a copy of the file and
Step 8: No, the user doesnt have execute permission.
Step 9: Symbolic
Step 10: Your current directory is.
You're changing to your parent directory, which is.
You're moving b
CISC 202.NO1 A. Tom Hasani
1. The main purpose is to create a file that can be used by another program. For
instance, text files can contain HTML for a Web browser to display or source
code that a compiler can process. Another p
CISC202.N01_AH_C6-RQ & CP
A snapshot file is used with the -listed-incremental option for the tar
utility. This option specifies which files have been added to the archive. The
tar utility checks the snapshot file, and if
Chapter 4 Activities
Number 6: The first three lines of text will change to italic font from lighter font.
Number 9: Lines 5 and 10 now have a star to the left.
Number 10: The pointer moves to the <html>. Bookmark.
Activity Assignments Chapter 5
Number 8: I did not have the execute permission
Number 9: Symbolic
Current directory is.
Changing to parent directory which is.
Moving to the scripts dire
Chapter 13 Activities
Number 7: NFS Client is installed with OpenSUSE so there is no need to download and
Number 16: I viewed the report file from my second VM in the /mnt directory. The file
said Shawn 3/27
Chapter 9 Activities
Number 8: Version 3.8.2 release 145.4.1 architecture i586
Number 10: I cant complete the freshen option because tiff is not installed and I would
use the command rpm q tiff to check this.
Number 11: -U works
Chapter 8 Activities
ARP Naming resolution between MAC Addresses and IP Addresses.
ICMP This protocol detects and reports on errors on the network
RIP A basic routing protocol for TCP/IP networks
SCTP connection orient
Number 3: /home/shawn
Number 4: The absolute method
Number 5: I was in the root directory
Number 6: The cd command put my back into my home directory
Number 7: All of my files starting with a capital D was disp
Chapter 3 Review Questions
1. Whats the main purpose of a text editor?
The purpose of a text editor is to create a file that is usable in other programs.
2. What vim mode are you using if you press keys to perform tasks instead of in
Chapter 11 Review Questions
1. Which of the following is the Linux DNS software?
c. Domain Name System
d. YaST DNS module
2. DNS is managed centrally by a major entity at the root level. True or False?
Chapter 8 Review Questions and Case Projects
1. The TCP/IP protocol suite consists of only two protocols: TCP and IP. True or False?
2. Which of the following layers is part of the TCP/IP model? (Choose all that apply.
Chapter 5 review Questions
1. Which of the following commands is used to modify permissions on a file?
d. su 2. The notation rw-r-r- means the file owner has which of the following permissions?
b. Read and
Chapter 9 Review Questions
1. Packages built with RPM have which of the following advantages? (Choose all that apply.)
2. What command should you use if you want to install an RPM pack
Step 2: Answers will vary.
Step 3: TCP is a connection protocol responsible for keeping track of the packets and
reassembling them into a single file after theyve arrived. UDP is similar to TCP in
that it uses IP to ge
CISC202_AH_C7 RQ & CP
Every user must be assigned to at least one group. A users primary group is
the default group the user is assigned to when the account is first created and
is the group owner of all files the user creates. S
CISC202_AH_C9-RQ & CP
1. a, b,c, d
2. a, c
3. d, b, or c
a. Name: The name describing the packaged software. RPM uses the
package file's contents during installation, which means this name can
Activity 7-1: Creating Users
Step 3: No. Only the root user can view the /etc/shadow file.
Step 5: The password aging controls are as follows:
# Password aging controls (used by useradd):
# PASS_MAX_DAYS Maximum number of days a
Symbolic notation uses criteria such as categories and operators to change
file permissions. For example, chmod u+x file1 gives the owner execute
permission for the file1 file. Numeric nota
CISC-202 A. Tom Hasani
Step 6: The text in the first three lines changes to a lighter font and is italic.
Step 9: A star is added to the left of lines 5 and 10.
Step 10: The insertion point moves to the previous bookmark, w
Step 8: tiff-3.8.2-145.4.1.i586, which means Tiff is installed (version 3.8.2, release
145.4.1, architecture i586).
Step 10: The freshen option doesnt work because Tiff is no longer installed. To
check, use rpm -q tiff.
CISC202_AH_ C8-RQ & CP
2. A, C, D
11. A router is needed for two computers to communicate over different
12. Its used to determine which part of an IP address is used for the network ID
1. There can be multiple root directories in Linux. True or False?
2. Describe a benefit of the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS).
Software developers can produce software that run on all Linux versions.
3. What com