Practice Problems: Chapter 10, Human Resources, Job Design, and Work
Develop a Process Chart for making a grilled cheese sandwich.
Develop an Activity Chart for doing three loads of laundry.
Develop a Process C
1) Businesses organized in the United States are subject to the laws of other countries in which
Topic: Law and Ethics
2) All ethical standards have been enacted as law.
1) Prior to the Industrial Revolution, employees and employers had similar bargaining power.
Topic: Labor Law
2) Today, approximately 72 percent of private sector wage and salary workers belong to u
1) The founders of the United States thought the plight of debtors was so important that they
included a provision in the U.S. Constitution on bankruptcy.
Topic: Overview of Federal Bankruptcy Law
1) In order to be a certified public accountant, an accountant must have attained a minimum
number of years of auditing experience.
Topic: Public Accounting
2) A person who is not certified as an accountant is
1) Employment law is a mixture of contract law, agency law and government regulation.
Topic: Employment at Will
2) Most employees are considered at-will employees.
1) Secured credit refers to credit where there is a second party to pay the debt in the event that
the original debtor does not.
Topic: Types of Credit
2) A debtor who is judgment-proof does not have a l
1) An agent has a duty to notify the principal of information he or she learns from a third party if
that information is important to the principal.
Topic: Agent's Duty of Lo
CAPACITY AND LEGALITY
1) The most prevalent age of majority for contractual purposes in the United States is 18 years of
age for both males and females.
2) In most states, if a minor misrepresents her age when enterin
1) Limited partnerships have both manager partners and investor partners.
Topic: Limited Partnership
2) A corporation may be a limited partner in a limited partnership.
1) The person who makes an offer to enter into a contract is the "offeree."
Topic: Definition of a Contract
2) The fact that a contract is legally enforceable means that the police can be called to
1) Wills transfer property upon a person's death.
2) In general, a will must be in writing to be effective.
3) Dying intestate means dying without a will.
1) Tender of delivery under the UCC requires the seller to transfer and deliver goods to the buyer
in accordance with a sales or lease contract.
Topic: Seller's and Lessor's Obligations
1) The state of an individual party being in a contract is known as privity of contract.
Topic: Privity of Contract
2) Third parties never acquire rights under other people's contracts.
CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND
THE SARBANES-OXLEY ACT
1) Shareholders own the corporation.
2) Corporations are required to hold annual shareholders' meetings.
3) A special shar
GENUINENESS OF ASSENT
AND UNDUE INFLUENCE
1) The assent of parties to a contract must be voluntary.
2) Assent may only be demonstrated by words.
3) Assent may still be present even
1) The primary purpose of the Statute of Frauds is to ensure that the terms of important contracts
are not forgotten, misunderstood, or fabricated.
Topic: Statute of Frauds - Writing Requiremen
1) The basis of much of the federal government's regulation of food and drug products is the
Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act of 1938.
Topic: Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Safety
2) The FDA has th
1) Real property can become personal property if it is removed from the land.
Topic: Personal Property
2) Stock certificates are tangible personal property.
Topic: Personal Propert
Practice Problem: Chapter 15, Short Term Scheduling
Assume that Susan is a sorority pledge coordinator with four jobs and only three pledges.
The table below gives the expected time for each pledge to do each job.
Practice Problems: Chapter 14, Material Requirements Planning (MRP) and ERP
Problem 1: The Hunicut and Hallock Corporation makes two versions of the same basic file cabinet, the TOL (Top-of-the-line) five drawer file cabinet and the HQ (High-quality) five
Practice Problem: Chapter 13, Aggregate Planning Problem 1: Set the following problem up in transportation format and solve for the minimum cost plan.
Period Feb Demand 55 Mar 70 Apr 75
Capacity Regular Overtime Subcontract 50 5 12 50 5 12 50 5 10
Practice Problems: Chapter 11, Supply-Chain Management
Problem 1: Determine the sales necessary to equal a dollar of savings on purchases for a company that has a net profit of 6% and spends 70% of its revenues on purchases. Problem 2: Determine the sales
Practice Problems: Chapter 9, Layout Strategy
Problem 1: As in most kitchens, the baking ovens in Lori's Kitchen in New Orleans are located in one area near the cooking burners. The refrigerators are located next to each other as are the dishwashing facil
Practice Problems: Chapter 7, Process Strategy
Problem 1: Jackson Custom Machine Shop has a contract for 130,000 units of a new product. Sam Jumper, the owner, has calculated the cost for three process alternatives. Fixed costs will be: for generalpurpose
Practice Problems: Chapter 8, Location Strategies
Problem 1: A major drug store chain wishes to build a new warehouse to serve the whole Midwest. At the moment, it is looking at three possible locations. The factors, weights, and ratings being considered
Practice Problem: Chapter 16, Just-in-Time Systems Problem 1: Bryant Electronics produces short runs of battery-powered pocket lanterns. You have been asked to reduce inventory by introducing a kanban system. After several hours of analysis you have devel
Practice Problems: Chapter 17, Maintenance and Reliability
Problem 1: California Instruments, Inc., produces 3,000 computer chips per day. Three hundred are tested for a period of 500 operating hours each. During the test, six failed: two after 50 hours,