EPCA.NEVI.2015.9.05 - Identify and describe three types of infant temperament and
three types of infant attachment styles.
69. Regarding peer relationships in childhood, which of the following stat
58. Who studied the process of imprinting in geese and other species?
a. John Bowlby b.
c. Diana Baumrind
d. Konrad Lorenz e.
Module 9.3 Years of Discovery: Emotional, Social, and Cognitive Development in
22. A strategy that prevents awareness of unacceptable desires is a
a. defense mechanism; ego
b. defense mechanism; id
, and the
makes use of such
c. defense mechanism; superego
d. fixation; ego
e. fixation; superego
40. If his development is normal, newborn baby Moses can be expected to do all but which of the following within his
first week of life?
a. Hear a variety of sounds and be particularly sensitive to sounds falling within the frequency of the human
40. The key element in Type A behavior pattern that appears to account for the increased risk for health problems is a.
Module 10.1 Stress: What It Is and What
28. An unlearned response to a particular stimulus is a(n)
Module 9.2 Infant
EPCA.NEVI.2015.9.02 - Identify reflexes present at birth.
67. Anorexia nervosa is
a. a form of food restriction that results in extremely low body weight. b.
an eating disorder among individuals of relatively normal weight.
c. a disorder in which episodes of binge eating are followed by purging. d.
a major cause
40. What is the correct ordering of Freuds psychosexual stages of development?
a. anal, oral, latency, phallic, genital
b. oral, anal, phallic, latency, genital
c. oral, anal, latency, phallic, genital
d. oral, phallic, anal, latency, genital
e. anal, ora
112. Which of the following statements is true about gender differences in emotions in Western cultures? a.
Men are more likely than women to express their emotions in both words and facial expressions. b.
Men are given more latitude than women in the emo
142. Empathy is most likely to play a role in which aspect of emotional intelligence?
a. Managing your emotions
b. Motivating yourself
c. Knowing your emotions
d. Delaying gratification
e. Recognizing emotions in others
Module 8.4 Em
7. Chan experiences emotional distress. Which psychological disorders might Chan most likely be experiencing?
a. anxiety and schizophrenia
b. schizophrenia and personality disorder
c. personality disorder and depression
d. depression and anxiety
76. All but which of the following serve as buffers against stress?
a. self-efficacy b.
social support c.
e. external locus of control
Module 10.1 Stress: What It Is and What It Does to the Body
31. Angela unconsciously despises old people. Yet, she volunteers two days each week at a retirement home. This is a
classic case of
c. reaction formation.
Module 11.1 Th
153. Summarize five major theories of motivation.
One theory of motivation is instinct theory, which suggests that motivation merely
reflects innate tendencies. At one point, psychologists had compiled a list of over
10,000 instincts. This view ha
169. According to Erikson, psychosocial development in late adulthood centers on the crisis of a.
identity vs. role diffusion.
b. industry vs. inferiority.
c. intimacy vs. isolation.
d. ego integrity vs. despair.
e. generativity vs. stagnation.
55. Regarding obesity, which of the following statements is FALSE?
a. Recently, rates of obesity have leveled off among U.S. men, but risen among U.S. women. b.
About two-thirds of the adult American population is overweight.
c. Obesity cuts life expectan
84. Amy teaches four-year-old preschool. After taking her college developmental psychology class, Amy determines
that the majority of her students will be dealing with which psychosocial crisis?
a. autonomy vs. shame and doubt
b. trust vs. mistrust
181. Wilfred was diagnosed with a terminal illness. He is beginning to feel a sense of loss and hopelessness. This is
characteristic of which stage of death and dying?
100. Complex feeling states having physiological, cognitive, and behavioral components are called a.
b. emotional intelligences.
d. need and drives.
Module 8.4 Emotions
What Are Emotions?
97. Regarding cancer, which of the following statements is FALSE?
a. Each year more than one million Americans are diagnosed with cancer.
b. Cancer develops when cells lose their ability to correctly regulate growth. c.
Cancerous tumors can form in any bo
121. Joan is a nurse who also helps provide care for her aging parents. Lately Joan has been feeling apathetic toward
her job. In addition, she has been having more headaches and sleep difficulties. Joans condition is best described as
88. Lately when Richard is having sex, he has been having difficulty achieving an erection. When he does have an
erection, he often has trouble maintaining it. Richard most likely has which sexual dysfunction?
a. Lack of sexual desire b.
25. Maternal smoking is associated with increased risk in the offspring with all of the following EXCEPT
a. reduced attention span.
b. deformed extremities. c.
d. behavioral problems.
e. childhood asthma.
79. Vasocongestion (blood pooling in genitals) characterizes which phase of the sexual response cycle?
a. excitement phase in males
b. excitement phase in females
c. excitement phase in both females and males
d. excitement phase in males and orgasm phase
125. Lawrence Kohlberg was interested in which aspect of development?
Module 9.4 Adolescence
EPCA.NEVI.2015.9.11 -Describe Kohlber
28. Emilio arrives at the movie theater planning to see a new thriller. When he gets there, he is surprised to see that a new
comedy that he has wanted to see is also playing. Based on this description, which type of conflict is he most likely
52. Regarding gender and behavioral responses to stress, which of the following statements is TRUE?
a. Under stress, women tend to be more nurturing while men tend to be more aggressive. b.
Under stress, men tend to be more nurturing while women tend to b
121. Of the following factors, which is most likely to be linked to personal happiness?
a. having wealth b.
having friends c.
d. having good health
e. being a lottery winner
Happiness: What Makes