Current and Resistance
Identify the choice that best completes the statement or answers the question.
1. The current in an electron beam in a cathode-ray tube is measured to be 70 A. How many electrons hit the
screen in 5.0 s? (e = 1.6 1
PRACTICE MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
ANSWERS AT END
Multiple Choice Questions -1-
ELECTRIC FORCES A D THE ELECTRIC FIELD
Doug rubs a piece of fur on a hard rubber rod, giving the rod a negative charge. What happens?
A. Protons are removed from the rod.
Reflection and Refraction
1. A ray of light strikes a thick sheet of glass ( n = 1.5) at an angle of 25 with the normal. Find the angle of the
ray reflected off the glass surface with respect to the normal.
2. As the angle of i
1. What is the temperature of a system in thermal equilibrium with another system made up of water and steam
at one atmosphere of pressure?
b. 273 K
c. 0 K
2. What is the temperature of a system in thermal equilibrium wi
1. A converging lens will be prescribed by the eye doctor to correct which of the following?
2. A diverging lens will be prescribed by the eye doctor to correct which
Torque and Angular Momentum
1. A vault is opened by applying a force of 300 N perpendicular to the plane of the door, 0.80 m from the
hinges. Find the torque due to this force about an axis through the hinges.
a. 120 Nm
c. 300 Nm
b. 240 Nm
d. 360 Nm
1. Of the following systems, which contains the most heat?
a. 100 kg of water at 80C
c. 600 kg of ice at 0C
b. 250 kg of water at 40C
d. Systems do not contain heat.
2. Carly places one end of a steel bar in a Bunsen flame and the oth
One of Einsteins
First Unified Theory
With Lorentz force
explains all of
Let ic = 0 for free space:
dl for B is only a, as done
B arises from I
I is defined by Q moving with v
Q moving with v undergoes F in B
There must be a connection!
Three options for dB:
But first: Lenzs Law
The minus si
Capacitors have capacitance, resistors have
resistance, and inductors have
B2 depends on i1.
B1 <> B2
Symmetry: M12 = M21
Unit: 1 Henry = 1Wb/A
Find M, Induced EMF
A1 = A2 = 10cm2
L = 0.50m
Chapters 21 & 22
The Standard Model
What is charge?
What possesses charge?
L, M, T, and now Q
quarks and e qu = +2/3, qd = -1/3, e- = -1
2 qu + 1 qd = P+; 1 qu + 2 qd = N
Two Fundamental Forms
Series: one component succeeds
Parallel: all components share
the same connection
The current through each is the
Each component receives the same
The Potential for Analogy
Gravity and Electrostatics have much in
Both give rise to fields
Newtons Law of Gravitation and Coloumbs
Law of Electrostatic Attraction follow the
Gauss Law can be applied to both
1. At what location does an artificial Earth satellite in elliptical orbit have its greatest speed?
a. nearest the Earth
c. between Earth and Moon
b. farthest from the Earth
d. between Earth and Sun
2. Which of the following best describes the
Selected Topics from Modern Physics
1. According to the special theory of relativity, if a 30-year old astronaut sent on a space mission is accelerated
to speeds close to that of light, and then returns to earth after 20 years as measured on earth, what
Vibrations and Waves
1. A large spring requires a force of 150 N to compress it only 0.010 m. What is the spring constant of the
a. 125 000 N/m
c. 15 N/m
b. 15 000 N/m
d. 1.5 N/m
2. Tripling the weight suspended vertically from a coil spring w
We Connect Technologies
Table of Contents
Review of Recent trends in 65+ Age
1. 2 600 rev/min is equivalent to which of the following?
a. 2600 rad/s
c. 273 rad/s
b. 43.3 rad/s
d. 60 rad/s
2. A grindstone spinning at the rate of 8.3 rev/s has what approximate angular speed?
a. 3.2 rad/s
c. 52 rad/s
b. 26 rad/s
1. A sound wave coming from a tuba has a wavelength of 1.50 m and travels to your ears at a speed of 345 m/s.
What is the frequency of the sound you hear?
a. 517 Hz
c. 230 Hz
b. 1/517 Hz
d. 1/230 Hz
2. A series of ocean waves, 5.0 m between cres
Lenses and Mirrors
1. You stand two feet away from a plane mirror. How far is it from you to your image?
a. 2.0 ft
c. 4.0 ft
b. 3.0 ft
d. 5.0 ft
2. Which of the following best describes the image from a plane mirror?
a. virtual and magnification great
domains gives rise to
permanent magnetic field
Forces on Moving Charges
Magnetic Field strength B
Analogous to E
Electric forces do not require the
charges to move, but mag
If moving charges are affected by
magnetic fields, it must be because they
produce their own magnetic fields
o = permeability of free
space: 4E-7 Ns2/C2
Biot-Savart (rhymes with Leo and bazaar)
1. A student adds two vectors with magnitudes of 200 and 40. Which one of the following is the only possible choice
for the magnitude of the resultant?
2. The first displacement is 6 m and the second displacement is 3 m.
1. Two beams of coherent light are shining on the same piece of white paper. With respect to the crests and
troughs of such waves, darkness will occur on the paper where:
a. the crest from one wave overlaps with the c. the troughs from both
Solids and Fluids
1. A solid object is made of two materials, one material having density of 2 000 kg/m 3 and the other having
density of 6 000 kg/m 3. If the object contains equal volumes of the materials, what is its average density?
a. 3 000 kg/m3
1. A 7.0-kg bowling ball experiences a net force of 5.0 N. What will be its acceleration?
a. 35 m/s2
c. 5.0 m/s2
b. 7.0 m/s
d. 0.71 m/s2
2. An astronaut applies a force of 500 N to an asteroid, and it accelerates at 7.00 m/s 2. What is
1. Rupel pushes a box 5.00 m by applying a 25.0-N horizontal force. What work does she do?
a. 10.0 J
c. 125 J
b. 25.0 J
d. 550 J
2. A horizontal force of 100 N is applied to move a 45-kg cart across a 9.0-m level surface. What work is done
Given sufficient potential
difference, electrons will flow
E points in the direction of
decreasing potential, so the
force on an electron is in the
Current I is defined as dQ/dt
1 Ampere = 1C/sec