1. (12 pts) Give correct names as requested for each of the following:
(assigned problem 10-4d)
CH3-C C CH CH3
CHEM 242 Final - Study Guide
Time: Friday, December 11, 2015, 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm
Location: Disque 103
The final exam may consist of up to thirty stand alone questions (multiple-choice) and four other questions
including a bonus question. Each of the follo
More substituted product will be the major project
Condensation reaction two molecules coming together to form one product
Understand when methyl and hydride shifts occur
Methyl migration = methyl shift
Cyclic intermediate - unique rea
Chapter 10 - Structure and Synthesis of Alcohols
1. Find the longest continuous carbon chain. Determine the
root name for this parent chain.
2. Number the chain in the direction such that the position
number of the first substituent is the sm
CHEM 242 Quiz 1
CHEM 242 Take-home Quiz #1
Take as much time as you may need. Books and notes are allowed. No discussion with others. Turn in your answer sheet
(p8 of the quiz) by the due date.
1. The formula for an alkane is C4H8. Therefore, this compoun
Chapter 15 Conjugated Systems, Orbital Symmetry, and Ultraviolet Spectroscopy
Concept of conjugated systems
Stability of conjugated systems
Reactivity at the allylic position
1,2- and 1,4-addition
Diels-alder reaction mechanism, structures,
Exam 1. Org. Chem., 242 2014 Winter
( C ) 1) 1-Methylcyclopentanol is classified as _.
A) a primary alcohol
B) a secondary alcohol
C) a tertiary alcohol
D) a phenol
E) an enol
( A ) 2) Provide an acceptable name for the compound b
Practice Midterm 2. There are some Multiple choice and free response questions. At the end of the day free response is the same as
multiple choice without the options!
1) What compound exhibits only two signals in its 1H NMR spectrum, a triplet and a quin
Organic Chemistry 2 Practice Midterm 1. Chapters 9-11. Winter 2015
the major organic products of the reactions shown below.
2. Provide a detailed step wise mechanism that would account for the formation of the
product in the following react
Chapter 8-Alkenes Electrophillic
Alkenes are hydrocarbons that contain carbon-carbon double bonds
Alkene are neutral nucleophiles (Nu) due to pi-bond
Pi bonds stick out in space therefore available for reaction
Mainly react with Electrophil
Student No. _
February 25, 2011
1. (24 pts) Draw the structure of the expected predominant products for each of the
following reactions. If asked, indicate "major".
NBS is N -bromo
Student No. _
February 16, 2011
1. (32 pts) Draw the structure of the expected major product for each of the following
reactions. If there is no reaction, write "N.R.".
CHEM 242 Organic Chemistry
January 14, 2011
Student No. _
1. (40 pts) Draw the structure of the major organic products for each of the following
1. (15 pts) Provid e a correct name f or each of the following. Y our answer must be IUPAC
or common if requested.
(a) common and (b) IUPAC
ethyl cyclopentyl ether
or cyclopentyl ethyl ether
Note number should not be
CHEM 242 Midterm 1
Time of the exam: Thursday, July 14th, 2016, 12 pm 1:50 pm
Location of the exam: Disque 103
The exam covers chapters 10 and 11
In class review: Tuesday, July 12th
1. (3 pts) Give the IUPAC name for the following compound.