1) What is a hygroscopic reagent? What is the term of the technique for measuring the mass of a
hygroscopic reagent? Describe this technique.
2) Can you list all the cautions we need to be aware of when using an analytical balance?
Chapter 5 Study guides
1) Is pursuant of the best accuracy and precision the goal of Q.A. for analytical methods? If not, what is
a feasible goal of Q.A.?
2) Understand the concepts: method blank, reagent blank, field blank, spike, matrix, matrix effect.
Chem310 Spring, 2014
Lab 8. Spectrophotometric Analysis of a Mixture: Caffeine and Benzoic Acid
In this experiment we use ultraviolet absorbance (Figure 1) to measure two compounds commonly used in
soft drinks. We will learn to operate Shimadzu UV
Chapter 4 Study guides
Be able to calculate mean, standard deviation using TI calculator and excel.
Be able to manually calculate (meaning, with setup) RSD.
What is the common format t
Study Guides and assignments
Chapter 0 and 1
What are the general steps in an analytical process?
Distinguish between sampling and sample preparation
What are the fundamental SI units? What quantities do they represent? (Tab
About Test 1
Duration: 1 hour.
Materials: Cover all the lectures up to this Friday, included chapters: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 27.
Possible format of test questions:
True of false;
Graphic questions (not to
Chapter 6 Study guides
1) Given an equation of chemical equilibrium, you should be able to write the expression of the
equilibrium constant (K), and of the reaction quotient (Q); Understand the difference between K and
Q (General expressions of K & of Q a
Study guides Chapter 9
0) Be able to calculate the pH of a strong acid or strong base, given its concentration c, in three different
cases (1) c > 10-6 M, (2) c < 10-8 M, (3) 10-8 c 10-6 M; (in which case systematic treatment is
1) Given informat
Chapter 3 Study guides
Understand and distinguish: systematic error vs random error; precision vs. accuracy
Concepts: uncertainty, error, do they refer to the same thing?
Understand and distinguish: absolute uncertainty vs. relative uncerta
1) Understand the impact of ionic strength (hence ionic atmosphere) on the activity of each ionic
species, and hence the solubility-equilibrium. Can you predict the direction to which the equilibrium
is shifting, if ionic strength i