Chapter 12 Practice Test (Keys start at page 30)
1. The average rate of disappearance of ozone in the reaction 2O3(g) 3O 2(g) is found to
be 9.0 10 -3 atm over a certain interval of time. What is the rate of appearance of O 2
during this interval?
Chapter 17 Practice Test (Answers Start on Page 19)
1. Ammonium metavandate reacts with sulfur dioxide in acidic solution as follows (hydrogen
ions and H2O omitted):
xVO3- + ySO2 xVO2+ + ySO42The ratio x : y is:
[A] 1 : 3
[B] 1 : 2
[C] 1 : 1
[D] 3 : 1
Chapter 18 Practice Test (Answers Start on Page 13)
1. In the following nuclear equation, identify the missing product:
Ca + a
2. Identify the missing particle in the following equation:
Chapter 16 Practice Test (Answers Start on Page 23)
1. For which process is DS negative?
[A] evaporation of 1 mol of CCl4(l)
[B] mixing 5 mL ethanol with 25 mL water
[C] raising the temperature of 100 g Cu from 275 K to 295 K
[D] grinding a large crystal
Chapter 15 Practice Test (Answers start on page 27)
1. What combination of substances will give a buffered solution that has a pH of 5.05?
(Assume each pair of substances is dissolved in 5.0 L of water.)
(Kb for NH3 = 1.8 10 -5; Kb for C5H5N = 1.7 10-9)
Chapter 14 Practice Test (Key starts on page 17)
1. For the equilibrium that exists in an aqueous solution of nitrous acid (HNO2, a weak acid),
the equilibrium constant expression is:
[H + ][NO 2 - ]
[B] K =
[A] K = [H ][NO 2 ]
[D] K =
[H + ][
Chapter 13 Practice Test
1. Which of the following statements concerning equilibrium is not true?
[A] A system moves spontaneously toward a state of equilibrium.
[B] The value of the equilibrium constant for a given reaction mixture is the same
Chapter 10 Practice Test
1. Which one of the following decreases as the strength of the attractive intermolecular forces
[A] The normal boiling temperature.
[B] The vapor pressure of a liquid.
[C] The sublimation temperature of a solid.
Chapter 11 Practice Test
1. A solution of hydrogen peroxide is 30.0% H2O2 by mass and has a density of 1.11 g/cm3.
The molarity of the solution is:
[A] 8.82 M
[B] 9.79 M
[C] 0.980 M
[D] 7.94 M
[E] none of these
2. The term proof is defined as twice the pe
Chapter 9 Practice Test
1. The hybridization of the phosphorus atom in the cation PH2+ is:
[E] none of these
2. In the molecule C2H4 the valence orbitals of the carbon atoms are assumed to be
[A] not hybridized.
[D] sp3 hybr
Chapter 8 Practice Test
1. Which of the following statements is incorrect?
[A] Linear molecules cannot have a net dipole moment.
[B] A molecule with very polar bonds can be nonpolar.
[C] Dipole moments result from the unequal distribution of electrons in
AP Chapter 7 Practice Test
1. When ignited, a uranium compound burns with a green flame. The wavelength of the light
given off by this flame is greater than that of
[A] ultraviolet light.
[B] red light.
[C] radio waves.
[D] infrared light.
[E] none of the
Chapter 4 Practice Test
1. An unknown substance dissolves readily in water but not in benzene (a nonpolar solvent).
Molecules of what type are present in the substance?
[B] either polar or nonpolar
[D] neither polar nor nonpolar
Chapter 6 Practice Test
1. A gas absorbs 0.0 J of heat and then performs 15.2 J of work. The change in internal energy
of the gas is
[A] -24.8 J
[B] -15.2 J
[C] 14.8 J
[D] 55.2 J
[E] none of these
2. Calculate the work for the expansion of CO 2 from 1.0 t
Chapter 1 Practice Test
1. It is estimated that uranium is relatively common in the earths crust, occurring in amounts
of 4 g/metric ton. A metric ton is 1000 kg. At this concentration, what mass of uranium is
present in 1.0 mg of the earths crust?
Chapter 5 Practice Test
1. A glass column is filled with mercury and inverted in a pool of mercury. The mercury
column stabilizes at a height of 735 mm above the pool of mercury. What is the pressure
of the atmosphere?
[A] 194 atm
[B] 0.735 atm
Chapter 3 Practice Test
1. Bromine exists naturally as a mixture of bromine-79 and bromine-81 isotopes. An atom of
[A] 44 protons, 44 electrons, and 35 neutrons.
[B] 34 protons and 35 electrons, only.
[C] 35 protons, 44 neutrons, 35 el