Feb. 29 2016
1. Durkheim- functionalists
a. Things all work together- how do you handle deviance- which all goes against
b. Social Cohesion and Integration
c. Looked at society and the progression
i. Mechanical sameness
1. Hunting gathering-
1. Changes in society change in how people interact.
Feb. 26, 2016
1. Social deviancea. What our examples are: crimes; not wearing appropriate clothing; sitting in a
classroom the wrong direction; wearing hats inside;
b. In class examples and rankings
i. not standing up for the pled
1. Socialization- internalization of values, beliefs, and norms of a given society, as learn to be
2. Two main theorists
i. Looking glass self.
1. We develop who we are through interactions
a. Sending out an image to other people of how
1. Social Status- General ranking or position in a social structure.
a. A person can have many
i. Ascribed (involuntary/Given)
1. Age, gender, race
a. Age- Only one we will go through all of the status.
ii. Achieved Status (voluntary/earned)