Bio 209 Plant and Animal Systems
Quiz #3 Chapter 44 - KEY
This quiz is worth 25 pts.
It will be collected at 10:25
Class will continue after the quiz
20 pts. 2 pts. each.
1. Osmoregulation is based primarily on the movement of _ between t
Name: _ Date: _
1. yeaIt is estimated that transposable elements compose approximately what percent of
the human genome?
2. Copies of a gene that arose by gene duplication are part of a gene _.
Name: _ Date: _
1. Over time, DNA replaced RNA as the primary carrier of genetic information, and the
chemical stability of DNA is believed to be the key reason for this. Which attribute of
DNA is the reason behind its chemical sta
Describe the pathological features of brain tissue of Alzheimers disease and Huntington
disease after such protein aggregation, and discuss the histological methods used to visualize
the protein aggregates in each of these diseases
Improper folding of pro
Biochemistry 303 Homework Due Wednesday Sept 7
1. All cells are surrounded by a plasma membrane. (a) What are the components of the plasma
membrane? (b) What is the function of the plasma membrane?
2. Draw the structures of the following functional groups
Water and Aqueous Solutions
What kind of interactions occur between molecules
Why water is a good medium for life
Why nonpolar moieties aggregate in water
How dissolved molecules alter properties of water
How weak acids and bases
Dr. Carla Gallagher
Office: SCIB 313
Email: [email protected]
Principles of Biochemistry 6th ed.
Interest in biochemistry
What is Biochemistry?
March 1, 2016
Differences between DNA and RNA
Types of RNA
Transcription Is the Synthesis of an RNA Molecule
from a DNA Template
DNA: not all nucleotides transcribed (un
March 24, 2016
15.1 Many Genes Encode Proteins
The One Gene, One Enzyme Hypothesis
Genes function by encoding enzymes, and each gene
encodes a separate enzyme.
More specific: one gene, one polypeptide hypothesis