1. Reliability is the probability that a product or system will function when activated.
2. If a system depends on two sub-systems functioning when activated, the reliability of that system is equal to
the lower reliability
1. The transportation model assumes similar, homogeneous goods.
2. The transportation model assumes shipping cost per unit is the same regardless of the number of units
shipped (there are no quantity discounts).
1. Waiting lines occur even in under loaded systems because of variability in service rates and/or arrival rates.
2. A system has one service facility that can service 10 customers per hour. The customers arrive at a variab
1. Ergonomics is the use of computers and robots in the workplace.
2. Specialization is one of the sources of disagreement between the efficiency and behavioral approaches to job
3. One disadvantage of spec
Chapter 19Pricing Concepts
1. Price is defined as the perceived value of a good or service that is exchanged for a certain dollar
Price is not necessarily measured in terms of money. In bartering, other items of value may be ex c
1. One important use of inventories in manufacturing is to decouple operations through the use of work in
2. The objective of inventory management is to minimize the cost of holding inventory.
Chapter: Chapter 02: Psychology As A Science
1. Which of the following is most debatable as a true science?
Feedback A: Less debatable than psychology
Feedback B: Less debatable than
1. "Flow-shop scheduling" is used in high volume systems.
2. Line balancing is a major factor in the design and scheduling of low volume systems because of batch
3. Scheduling in intermediate-volume s
Chapter: Chapter 01: Psychology: Yesterday and Today
1. By definition, what do psychologists study?
Ans: Behavior and mental processes
Section Ref: What is Psychology?
Learning Objective: Define psychology, and describe the goals and levels o
Chapter 17Advertising and Public Relations
1. Promotion is defined as any form of impersonal, paid communication in which the sponsor or com pany is identified.
This defines advertising, which is a type of promotion.
Chapter: Chapter 03: Human Development
1. Which of the following is true about developmental psychology?
a) Developmental psychologists are only interested in similarities between groups of people.
b) Most developmental psychologists are o
Chapter 20Setting the Right Price
1. The first step in setting the right price for a new product is to estimate demand, costs, and profits.
The first step in setting the right price for a new product is to derive pricing goals from the f
Chapter 13Marketing Channels
1. A marketing channel is a set of interdependent organizations that ease the transfer of ownership as
products move from producer to business user or consumer.
TOP: AACSB Reflective Thinking
Chapter: Chapter 05: Sensation and Perception
1. List the technical names for each of the five sensory systems.
Ans: Olfactory, gustatory, somatosensory, auditory, visual
Section Ref: Common Process of Sensation and Perception
1. Retailing can be defined as all activities directly related to the sale of goods and services to the ulti mate consumer for personal, nonbusiness use.
TOP: AACSB Reflective Thinking
MSC: BLOOMS Level I Knowl
Chapter: Chapter 14: Social Psychology
1. Dan felt cheated by the used car salesperson who sold him a 1997 Honda Accord several years
ago. Ever since then, he assumes the worst when it comes to dealing with salespeople. Which
Chapter: Chapter 13: Personality
1. Freud identified three central forces in personality development. Which force controls our
Feedback A: Controls basic drives
Feedback B: Corre
Chapter: Chapter 12: Emotion
1. Approximately how many words in the English language refer to emotion?
Feedback A: Too few
Feedback B: Too few
Feedback C: Too few
Feedback D: Correct!
Section Ref: What is
Chapter: Chapter 08: Memory
1.Which of the following memory processes is associated with retaining memories for future
Feedback A: This process involves tran
Chapter: Chapter 07: Learning
1. Which of the following can be classified as learning?
a) Development of neural connections in the brain
b) Using crutches while your broken leg heals
c) Writing with your left hand while the right hand is i
Chapter: Chapter 06: Consciousness
1. Name 2 elements that are involved in conscious awareness.
Ans: Attention, monitoring, remembering, planning
Section Ref: When We Are Awake: Conscious Awareness
Learning Objective: Define different levels
Chapter 22Social Media and Marketing
1. For most people, social media is a marketing experience.
For most people, social media is meant to be a social experience, not a marketing experience.
TOP: AACSB Reflectiv
Chapter: Chapter 09: Language and Thought
1. Which of the following areas refers to the meaning of words?
Feedback A: Sounds of language
Feedback B: Correct!
Feedback C: Smallest
1. Continuous processing is the best way to produce customized output.
2. As a general rule, continuous processing systems produce products for inventory rather than for customer
3. A Job-Shop processing sys
1. Decision trees, with their predetermined analysis of a situation, are really not useful in making health care
decisions since every person is unique.
2. Bounded rationality refers to the limits imposed on decision-making
1. Forecasting techniques generally assume an existing causal system that will continue to exist in the future.
2. For new products in a strong growth mode, a low alpha will minimize forecast errors when using exponential
1. An example of a strategic operations management decision is the choice of where to locate.
2. An example of an operational operations management decision is inventory level management.
3. Government statistics a
1. Operations managers are responsible for assessing consumer wants and needs and selling and promoting the
organization's goods or services.
2. Often, the collective success or failure of companies' operations functions will
1. Approximately how many people (children, adolescents, and adults) in the United States receive
therapy for psychological problems in the course of a year?
a) 2 million
b) 5 million
c) 10 million
d) 20 million
Feedback A: Approximately