Homework 2: Metalworking (due 11th February)
1. Impression die forging is commonly considered to be capable of making 3D shapes. State one
major constraint for this method in terms of its 3D shaping capability.
Impression die forging does not allow for sm
Homework 1: Metalworking (due on Monday February 4th)
1. Define flow stress
Flow stress is the instantaneous value of the true stress that is required to continue deforming a
material at a given strain. Yf = K^n where K is the strength coeffi
Monday March 18th 2013
Homework 4: Machining of Metals and Heat Treatment of Steels
1. Draw a representation of chip formation during orthogonal cutting and label the rack face and
the cutting edge.
2. Name three advantages of mac
Homework 5: Joining of Metals and Heat Treatment of Aluminum Alloys
1. Why do low alloy steels have bad weldability?
Low alloy steels have poor weldability because they have complex microstructures,
which cause changes in the heat affected zo
Homework 7: Polymer and Composite Processing
1. How does the viscosity of a polymer melt change when the shear rate is increased?
The viscosity of a polymer melt decreases as the shear rate is increased. The viscosity of a
polymer melt is rel
Study Questions: Composite Processing (this is not a homework)
1. (a) A composite has been processed using 40 vol% of continuous uniaxially aligned Kevlar
fibers with an axial elastic modulus of 130 GPa and .a transverse elastic modulus of 10 GPa in a
MEMS 0040 Materials and Manufacturing
True/False Quiz 6: Polymers
1. _Addition polymerization results in a small molecule byproduct.
2. _ The repeat unit of polystyrene contains 8 carbon atoms.
3. _ A polymer will experience a discontinuous decrease in vo