Topic: Intercultural Com competency:
1 List 1 examples of each kind of diversity: organizational dimension: work/field ; external
dimensions income ; internal dimensions race/ethnicity
2 Diversity is the difference and among us and our similarities among
On cultural change
If a culture is like an apple, which part changes skin which part is hard
to change? Core (values)
Give an example of each area of the Johari window: hidden (no one
knows, you know) gender, . unknown (you dont know, no one knows):
Guiding questions for the topics on Access to
Medicine, scientific solutions and ethics
On Scientific Innovations
1. Zoonosis is when the disease crosses the species
2. What are the major elements in the definition of
science? Rationality, reliab
DOHA what makes medicine affordable for poor people
Overview global health
Access to medicine
Important: what is a global health organization who
Head of who:
What is whos networks:
Who in America is head of
422 Questions for the video cases on the use of medicine
legal medicine, illegal or unsafe medicine) (type your
answers, bullets, short and concise answers)
1. What do you think are the causes of abuse of
pain killers in America? (list at least 2 po
Topic: Drug Consumption and safety: Multisector Global Health Solutions
Questions: Drug use and safety
Who are the major consumers of medicine in the United States?
Factors for high drug cost, name 1: marketing
1. Genetic factors interact with environmental factors to produce health outcomes. This is the position of
the cumulative disadvantage theory.
Health is determined by social forces. This is the position of Durkheims theory.
3. There are t
Guiding questions: intro and process of
communication, oral presentation, persuasion.
1. Encoder is the sender of a message.
2. Give an example of a frame of reference. Religion,
education, political ideologies
3. A question that has a hidden agenda is ca
Exam 2 f13 starts here
Name 2 stakeholders involved in the access to the
affordable HIV medicine for vulnerable people?
Sexually active people and poor people
What is more enforceable? policy or regulation
Guiding questions for the topics of: overview, global health
system, and disaster management)
Last Name _, First name_
Name 2 major global health and development issues today.
malaria, HIV, AIDS, tb
Which institutions are in charge of global health
How do you like your anatomy class? is an open question. Open or closed ended.
2. In the listening process, at the perception stage, people use their background to judge a
message. At the response people provide a feedback.
Hearing occurs at the _re
September 3, 2013
Global Health Questions
Name 2 major global health and development issues today.
HIV/AIDS & malaria
Which institutions are in charge of global health at the global levels? Name 1
Which institutions are in ch
Global and International Health
September 10, 2013
1. _Zoonisis_ is when the disease crosses the species barrier.
2. What are the major elements in the definition of science? Rationality, reliability,
unpredictable intuitions, sy
Tropical Diseases (NTD)
Guiding questions on NTDs
1. In total, 1 billion people have been affected by
NTDS or 1 in 6 people.
2. what are the major neglected diseases? Buruli ulcer,
cholera, cysticercosis, dracunculiasis (guinea
Topic: Research and Modes of Inquiry in
Intercultural Communication (exam 1 ends here)
Guiding questions for research
Name examples of quantitative and qualitative research?
The critical mode or researc
Guiding questions on Political Ideologies and
1. List 2 kinds of intergroup differences? Such as race, gender, and economic
2. The classic model of development emphasizes? List 2 wealth and national power
3. Adam Smith wrote the famous book in ca
Guiding questions on gender, innovation and
diffusion and social marketing
Gender is about psychological traits.
2 Marx Theory believes that gender and sex inequity
can be attributed to the struggle for power and resources.
A. Marx theory.
305 Topic: research.
Hands-on exercise on Quantitative Research (bring
this to class)
Research focus: We are going to do a study to see if watching TV
makes you do better on a physiology exam.
Fill the blanks
I. First, we are only thinking and mapp
1. I recommend for the first meeting my friend look up the polite way to greet the people.
For example, rather than shaking hands they should bow to each other. Also, they should
say konichiwa. When giving the card, hand it to them with both hands. If the
1. She should find polite ways to greet. Bowing is the proper way rather than shaking hands.
When handing business cards they should use both hands and when receiving should read
the entire thing rather than just putting it away immediately. Also, when gi
Guiding Questions on Case Studies
People are infected by Schistosomiasis through contact of
_; the vector/carrier in the fresh water is a
_; it mainly affects people in the city or rural area?
Choose 1. List 1 symptom_; list 1 priority of
Guiding questions on global partnership
formation communication ethics and on
1. On different forms of partnerships:
_is loose and flexible and
everyone can join;
_ you have 1
organization as the leader;
_: you contract the work
Influenza pandemic in 1918
o First waves: spring/ summer 1918
o Peak of epidemic: mid September to early November 1918
o Later waves:
Intersection of humanities and sciences:
History of med
Rhetoric of disease
Politics of public health
Part IV: Global health and Environmental Determinants
Guiding Questions for Environmental Determinants
Water Questions: (short answers)
1. What is the measure of water stress?
100 cubic meters per person per year
What is the difference between stereotype and prejudice?
Stereotype is an assumption made for a group_ and prejudice
is a _bias/ judgment_
list 1 key ethical belief for Islam_moral
responisibliity_; Christianity _10