Lab 1 introduce lab, history of
behavior research, choice of animals
Lab 2 (today) methods in behavior
Lab 3 office visit (5 points)
Lab 4 data analyses,
Use of Animals in Science
Concern about animal use and abuse
Animal Rights g
Why Do Animal Behavior Research ?
* Managing resource species (fish and wildlife)
Pacific salmon (e.g., Columbia R flow)
* Conservation of endangered species
13-05 Social System of Honey Bees.mpg
Review As Needed
Mitosis vs Meiosis
Mendels 2 Laws
With an Emphasis on Aggression
800 m 153:28
1983 Olympics (Munich)
Reasons for Calf Castration
produce tame oxen for draught purposes
prevent mating an
Animal Behavior Exams
- Take your time write fully developed answers
- Diagrams may help but only if cited (and labeled)
- Look for connections to other courses
- Speculation is OK but must be reasoned
- Avoid down-loading information stay on task
Understanding the behavior of wild
animals from a neural perspective
4 Types of Tissue in all Animals
2 are key to Animal Behavior
Possibilities due to a nervous system:
1) Awareness of the world via sensory
04-02 Ants and Caterpillar.mpg
The most spectacular, admired, photographed, & studied?
Resist that Thought!
Sociality is NOT superior
bird of paradise family
Victorias Riflebird Australia
Carolas Parotia New Guinea
Sexual Behavior & Parental Care
Most higher animals reproduce sexually
Many higher animals provide little or
What is it?
Communication What is it?
Everybody: Think of a definition
"What is communication"?
Not a trivial question
1) Must communication signals be intentional?
Does the receiver have to show
an overt re