Vasquez de Ayllon discovered and charter the eastern seaboard of
what is now the US and Canada.
Patent or charter issued from the crown on February 12th 1512 expresses the true purpose or goal of Ponce's voyage.
Ponce was relieved as governor of Pue
Juan Ponce de Leon and the Spanish discovery of Florida and Puerto
Juan Ponce actually travelled to the West Indies on the 2nd voyage of
Juan Discovered the Gulf Stream along with Biscayne Bay, the Florida
Keys, the Dry Tortugas,
Rise of Modern Science
Here he is arguing against the claim first put by the French physicist and historian
Pierre Duhem that the origins of modern science can be found as early as the
Two major developments:
1. Age of Discovery, expe
1. What is the famous definition of knowledge proposed by
2. What does he mean by "idols of the tribe" and what are
inherent in human nature, man's sense is falsely asserted
to be the standard of things.
3. What were the results of th
Readings- Pacheco's Esmeraldo
Rise of Nautical science in Portugal from sailing a lot.
Discovery of India brought increase in detailed description of new sea
Experience, not tradition is his guide. XXIV
Portuguese tried very hard to kee
Measures of reality
1. development of universities- urbanized, brought independence and ra tional thinking
3. new books translated from greek and arabic
4. challenging of biblical beliefs
5. development of leisure
6. dev. of merchant clas
ideal type- ?concept, not one single individual fits all types. (non- evaluative
stereotype (stereo-same in greek)
no individual fits ideal type.
1. Perception is fatally flawed- senses are useless (plato)
2. the universe is fundamental
The Beginnings of Western Science
Pre-Greek cultures had observations about the world and the things
around them (mesopotamians, egyptians) but all related to magic and
People had good technology without knowing how that technology
worked (in ora