Mencius was born in the state of Zou, now known as Shandong Province in
China. He was one of the most influential figures in the development of the Chinese
philosophy called Confucianism, but he was best known for his belief that human nat
Today, people's main concern is not about whom they are from within, but
instead they are worried about where they stand on this social latter the society has
created. This results in the creation of the social and personal self; these tw
Today, the word uselessness means not being useful to another person or
another man, however Daoists would argue that statement. Daoists believe that
what may be useless to one person can be useful to another and if something
1. Read Joshua 1:19 and compare Deuteronomy 31:78. What promise and
what challenge is given to Joshua at the beginning of the campaign to
possess the land?
The promise and challenge that was given to Joshua at the beginning of the campai
1. How is the Creation Story in Genesis best understood as an argument against
the various creation myths in ancient pagan Near Eastern cultures? The creation story in Genesis
is best understood as an argument against the various creatio
Act 3The King Chooses Israel: Redemption Initiated - Covenants-a-b
1. What is a Covenant in the Bible? See discussion in Drama.
A covenant in the bible refers to how God has chosen to communicate with us, guarantee us
eternal life and to
23 October 2016
Act 4 - Jesus - a, b - Questions for Study and Discussion
1. Read the Bible text assigned. (especially Matthew 5,6,7) Why might this "Sermon on the
Mount" (Matthew chapters 5-7) of Jesus be called a
Act 4 - Jesus - The meaning of his death, resurrection, ascension
1. A major theme in all the Gospels is the growing opposition between Jesus and
Jewish religious leaders, especially the Pharisees. Why were they deeply offended by Jesus?
Why do they denou
6 October 2016
Act 3The Prophets
1. What is the significance of the voices of the prophets during Judahs decline and during
the Babylonian captivity?
Note the key prophecy themes:
The significance of the prophets dur
RLS Biblical Thoughts
17 October 2016
Act 5 - The Church - Mission and Purpose
1. Based on your reading in Acts and Paul's first letters.If you were part of a leadership
team of a new church forming in your city, what do you th
1. What is the story of 'the fall' in Genesis 3 meant to explain?
The story of the fall in Genesis 3 is trying to explain is that sin has broken the relationship man
has with God and it has impacted negatively in a way that it h
1. What would you say is the central theme of the Creation Story of Genesis ch.
1 and 2? The central theme of the creation story of Genesis is moral and spiritual revelation.
After the sixth day of creating, God stopped on the seventh da
September 22, 2016
1. What is a Covenant in the Bible? See discussion in Drama. What
would be an equivalent concept today?
A Covenant in the Bible is the word that describes the relationship
between God and his p
September 29, 2016
1. Read Joshua 1:19 and compare Deuteronomy 31:78. What promise
and what challenge is given to Joshua at the beginning of the campaign to
possess the land?
Joshua is promised every place that h
Use a pulley that is matched to a v-groove,
syncronous, or flat belt.
Flat belt and v-groove are used rarely
in robot drive. Why?
possibility of slippage
Syncronous belt drives are used in robots
Sept 15, 2013
Confucius Vision of Humanity
For those who follow the lessons taught by Confucius it is said that humanity and
goodness go hand and hand. Humanity has to do with loving everyone and loving the universe.
Confucius uses humanity to view
Daoist strategy for living
.the sage can accomplish the great
by his not acting on the great
Thus he can accomplish the great (pg 83)
Virtue is behavior showing high moral standards but Dao tries to make it apparent that
opposites are mutually depe
Sept 24, 2013
Practicing Civility for a Day
Since it is recruitment time in the greek community I decided I would pick a day in which
there was a round of rush to reflect on my daily rituals of civil behavior. My morning began with
me waking up my
Buddhism Study Guide
1. Buddha: The Enlightened One
2. Sakyamuni: The name of young Buddha. Sakya was his familys name, and
muni means sage, so Sakyamuni = Sage of the Sakya family.
3. Siddharta: Another name of young Buddha
4. Osterity Aesth
RLS131 quiz 1
Confucius was born 551 BC
lived n the chinese state of Lu
-Zhou dynasty started 1000 years before
-After it was over China went into a period of Warring States
all states were fighting each other
Filial Piety- respect for elders
Columbian Exchange: When Christopher Columbus landed in America he was not
looking so much for conquest but for exchange. Pushed by capatlist urges, there was a
dramatic exchange of goods between the new world. The three sister crops were
introduced to th
Indian prompt: It would be dangerous to consider that this supreme court justices
opinion of the natives of America be true. Prior to 1700, the whole approach that whites
took to native americans was completely different to this opinion. The Puritan
HIST0510: American Exceptionalism: The History of an Idea (Fall 2012)
Final Exam Preparation
For the Final Exam, students have two options:
1) a take-home exam done on Dec. 13-14the exam will be posted at the course website (MyCourses)
on Thurs., Dec. 13,
Lecture 2: second half of semester
Pequot War (1637)
- English Puritan settlements began to expand into CT
- Pequot Indians= major obstacle in expanding
- English Puritan troops w/ help of Mohegan and Narragansett allies burned the Pequot
village and kill