On Manual p6
1 lbs/(100 f2) = 0.1969 dynes/cm2
1 dynes/cm2 = 0.1 Pa
1 centipoise(cp) = 0.001 Pasec = 0.01 dynessec/cm2
=> 1 lbs/(100 f2) = 19.69 cp/sec
Shear strength shear rate plot
Assume we recorded data in SS (dynes/cm2) and SR(s
Lecture - 3
Direction of fluid
Rocks are comprised of grains(matrix)
with void spaces in between.
1. Gin Pole - An A frame structure
located at the top of standard derricks used
to lift and lower the crown block into
2. Water Table - The water table is the walkaround at the top of standard derricks which
PART 1: RELATIVE PERMEABILITY (45 points)
The core sample presented in the diagram below was used in a laboratory experiment.
Water was pumped through the core at two different in-situ oil saturations, and the data
below were col
Problem Set 4 Solutions
1. Pg=Pcgw+Pw=149.74 kPa
29.04dynes / cm
2 lA cos
14400dynes / cm 0.0143atm 0.2090 psia
4. Hint (not a full explanation): Adhesion force in bubble A is larger. Therefore, the
PNG 405 HW#2
1. Use Darcys law and calculate k=
= 174.8 mD
= 479 mD
4. kL=65.5 md
No. (cm3/s) (atm) (atm)
Problem Set 7 Solutions
1. a. Component 1 is lighter and component 2 is heavier.
b. Component 1 at 300psia and 0F is liquid
c. component 2 at 200pisa and 11F is gas.
2. Propane in the cell is partially super critical, liquid like at 100F, 1000psia.
1. Unit should be used in this problem:
: mN/m or N/m
calculated Pc: Pa, KPa ( can be converted to atm or psi)
Problem Set 8 Solutions
1. Density of methane @ critical point = 10~11 lb/ft3
Volume of gas = 0.76 ft3
2. The reservoir fluid is undersaturated .
3. a) Dry gas
b) Wet gas
c) Gas condensate
d) Volatile oil
e) Black oil
4. The gas is Butane. ( molecular wei
I. A limestone reservoir has a porosity of 0.2 at an initial pressure of 4000 psia. Using the
Newman correlation, determine the compressibility of the rock at the initial pressure.
Considering the rock compressibility to be approximately consta
Unit Conversion Factors
The conversion factors shown below are approximate and were taken from a variety of sources.
When dealing with liquid or gaseous hydrocarbons, the actual
A laboratory measurement of permeability revealed the following results using
water (=1cP). What is the sample permeability?
In this plot, pressure gradient (delta P / L) is plotted on x-axis; fluid velocity (v =
q/A) is plotted in y-axis, and
-Problem 1: Find the oil storage capacity (porosity) of a sandstone core.
Mass of core=33.0 gm
Sandstone density =2.64
oil fluid density=0.77
final mass of core=41.0 gm
total pore volume (V p )